Washer/Dryer Platform

drjoannJune 21, 2010

We will be getting a new washer & dryer, both front loaders and we would like them raised above floor level. We can buy the matching pedestals which aren't cheap & we're not likely to use for storage. If I want to avoid bending over when putting clothes in & out of the appliance, I'm not likely to want to bend over and lift out large containers of laundry detergent, etc.

I suggested to the builder that he give us a quote on just building a platform to set the W/D on. Am I asking for trouble doing this? Is the washer likely to vibrate off the platform whereas it has some kind of locking device to the matching pedestal?

Thanks - Jo Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanny2a

We had a carpenter make a platform for our washer and dryer, both of which are front loaders, and haven't had any problems with it at all. He used birch plywood and reinforced the center with a 2 x 4. I painted it the same color as my door and window trim in the laundry. Total cost was $40, a far better deal than what the two pedestals cost that we could have purchased with the appliances.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 6:04PM
drjoann

Thanks for the feedback. Yup, the cost of the matching pedestals doesn't match the functionality, for me, given that we wouldn't use them much for storage. I'm glad to know that a platform is an inexpensive solution.

A light bulb went on for DH & he realized that the platform would work very well as a place to hide the ductwork for the dryer. The HVAC guy agrees so they are taking the specs from the W/D and associated pedestals and working it out. What I like about the platform (besides the cost) is that it isn't quite as specific to the particular appliance.

Thanks - Jo Ann

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 6:16PM
wear_your_baby

We are hoping to do the same. I'm wondering how tall you are planning to make them. We are installing cabinetry above the machines, and don't want to get too close to that.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 10:56PM
drjoann

wear_your_baby: the manufacturer's pedestals that I looked at are 15" tall. This put the top of the particular washer I'm interested in at 52". Compare this to the typical 54" for the bottom of kitchen upper cabinets.

HTH - Jo Ann

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 11:20PM
chisue

Think if you want to use the tops of the washer and dryer for folding clothes, too.

Our carpenter built platforms that put our set 42" above the floor. I'm 5'6"; this works for me. (I also raised our laundry sink to make it easier to wash our Westie.)

The idea of drawers-on-the-floor seemed useless to me too. LOL

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 11:53AM
bamahostaman

Jo Ann,

We did ours 8 years ago at 13" since my wife thought the 15" was a little tall for her. We tiled the top surface and the front to match the floor in the laundry. We were very happy with the result and have not had any issues with it.

Mark

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 11:58AM
crazyhouse6

We had our cabinet maker build our shelving. I wanted storage for sorted dirty clothes baskets. I love the set-up, but in hindsight would make them deeper to allow more room for the overflow basket below the washer.

I have 4 kids and LOTS of laundry, so I also wanted room for clean clothes baskets. (Pictures taken BEFORE we moved in. Wish it looked like this now.)

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 1:26PM
jeri

Crazy  Would you mind telling me the dimensions of your clean basket cubbies?

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 12:38PM
kannon02

Crazy - I would also like to know the dimensions of your clean basket cubbies, as well as your laundry room. That is exactly the laundry room layout we are looking for.

Any regrets, besides making them deeper?

Thanks!!

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 2:49PM
crazyhouse6

Sorry for not responding before - just seeing this post now.

The clean clothes cubbies are each 17' wide x 13 1/2 h x 23 1/2 deep. They are perfect, but I did make sure I could find baskets to fit before finalizing the plans. My baskets are narrower and shorter than most.

I really like the spots for sorting the dirty clothes under the washer and dryer. As mentioned before, I would make them with plenty of room for the drain pan. It's a great set-up.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 6:20PM
terriks

We had an elevated platform built for our washer and dryer. I believe it is about 6 - 8 inches high, and is tiled just like the laundry room floor. I needed the tops of the machines for folding, so I didn't want it too high. Crazyhouse - I love your cubbies! Wish we had room for something like that!

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 1:19PM
scrapbookheaven

Crazyhouse: Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. I saw your configuration for clean cubbies in an earlier post and requested it in my new build. We are two weeks from moving in and I can't wait to use them. We also have a laundry chute depositing in an upper cabinet above the clean cubbies.

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 8:13PM
lfielder54

It's a great idea, but do you really have no problems with the washer moving around on your wooden platform?

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 2:55PM
stayn2busy

I hope you've researched the front loaders. I've had mine for about five years and several of my friends do as well. I have the pedestal bases and really like the height of the W&D, but never use the bottom storage, and yes, very pricey to save my back! However, as soon as this W&D bite the dust, I will never buy front loaders again... and my friends feel the same way. The washer seems to take a lot longer to wash a load, the whites don't get as clean (ie..makeup on a washcloth), and my washer door has to be left open or else it smells moldy. Maybe they are better made now than they were five years ago. BTW, mine are LG. A couple of my friends don't have bases and use the tops for folding. I think having bases build is a great idea, not to mention the money saved.

Crazyhouse, I love your laundry basket cubbies! What a great idea for families with kids still at home.

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 11:19PM
crazyhouse6

caiquemom - I really do not have any issues with movement. The washer is a Samsung and they are in there pretty tight, so I don't see how they could move too much if they did. Additionally, mine is now sitting on/in a heavy duty pan that could be screwed into the platform if I did have problems with them moving around. My cabinets are also very sturdy.

Thanks for the compliments. So much love for a laundry room. :)

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
homeowner's association
totally OT, but... would you, did you, or will you be...
energy_rater_la
Thinking about driveways
One of the few things my husband requests in our new...
mrspete
Ole cahaba brick-henry brick
Anyone using ole cahaba brick? If so what mortar colors...
barroberts
Mitch Ginn Elberton Way photos and feedback?
We have chosen Southern Living's Elberton Way to build...
karakell
Downsides to exposed aggregate vs broom finish concrete?
Hi, We were surprised to find out yesterday that we...
Kiwigem
Sponsored Products
Homelegance Silas 5 Piece Bonded Leather Mansion Bedroom Set in Cherry
Beyond Stores
Stainless Steel Digital Scale
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Knoll | Barcelona Couch with Straps in Matching Leather
YLiving.com
Clarity Counter Top Hair Dryer Holder
$9.99 | zulily
Pembroke Lane Multi-Colored Euro Square 26x26 Pillow
$24.99 | Bellacor