CC Sighting - House of Cards - Netflix

TakkoneJuly 30, 2013

Great TV drama series on Netflix, House of Cards. Follows the lives of Washington D.C. insiders. CC looks like a 48" or 60" with grill and griddle? In the home of the main characters Francis and his wife Claire, played by Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellytoast

Haha ... how to know we've been on GW for too long ... we start identifying the appliances on TV show sets. Glad to know I'm not the only one. :-)

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 1:23PM
barryv_gw

I recall noticing the range when Friends was on. A bunch of young kids with no money in a New York apartment, and Monica had a Wolf range - sort of hard to believe.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 8:22PM
deeageaux

I thought Monica had a Viking range?

2 Broke Girls have a lavender Bluestar RNB.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 8:59PM
shannonplus2

Monica had a GE Monogram range. That's what GE Monogram ranges looked like around 1994. Note that all NBC TV shows from 1986 onward, when GE purchased NBC, have GE appliances in the TV set kitchens. Even the Today Show's kitchen set, for when they have guest chefs on, has GE appliances. Deeageaux - Broke Girls is on CBS, so they can have any brand appliance they want.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 9:12PM
tyguy

I have never had the time or patience to sit down and watch friends often, but I know for sure that there was a Viking range for a at least a while in who ever accupied that apartment.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 9:29PM
deeageaux

I wasn't TKO or TAO back in my collegiate days but I thought I remembered seeing a Viking range.

Weren't they the first "pro style" range?

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 9:36PM
jellytoast

Well, since all the girls on Friends never wore the same outfit twice, it doesn't surprise me that they could also afford an upscale range. But their apartment was a rental ... wouldn't the landlord supply the appliances?

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 10:58PM
deeageaux

Yep, you know a diner line-cook and a barista could afford a $5k/month Greenwich Village 2 bedroom apartment.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 11:26PM
Mrs_Nyefnyef

Deeageaux - I thought it was "understood" that Monica's and Rachel's parents were "helping" with the rent. Remember when Marlo Thomas played Rachel's mom? She nailed the wealthy suburban-NY woman to a tee. Jellytoast- I think Rachel's clothes in the first few seasons looked inexpensive. I'm remembering unfortunate shorts-overalls on her. It wasn't until she got the job with Ralph Lauren that she started dressing so chic.

What I remember about that Village apartment was what looked to be yards of Brunschwig fabric draped at the window! As to the appliances, I remember the old-time fridge which looked like it was from the '60's. So, the aspiring chef has a Viking or GE Monogram range but a tiny inefficient fridge. Never understood that, but only a TKO would notice.

This post was edited by Mrs_Nyefnyef on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 13:04

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:08PM
Gooster

Anywhere a brand is visible, you can be rest assured somebody probably paid for the privilege or supplied the merchandise, whether it is a movie or a tv show. They'll pay even more to get it prominently featured or mentioned in the dialog. Even in the reality shows, the brands will be blurred out unless the companies paid to have them shown. There are whole websites dedicated to particularly bad or clumsy versions of this type of promotion.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
capital precision mcr304 vs. wolf gr304?
Anyone have thoughts on these two? Also looked at GE...
mweyandt
ELECTROLUX ICON FREESTANDING DUAL-FUEL RANGE or KITCHEN AID
I am about to purchase a dual –fuel, 30 “freestanding...
AreBe
Vent hood, Broan, Vent a Hood, Zephyr, or Kobe
I am looking for a 36'' under cabinet hood for a 36''...
abick2
essentials you can't live without in your front load washing machine?
I am trying to purchase a new washing machine for our...
abick2
Magnetic SS Refrigerator
My wife and I keep going back and forth on the issue...
greasetrap
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™