Very high quality over the shower door towel racks?

jaxoJuly 30, 2013

I'm getting new frameless glass doors without towel bars for the shower enclosure.
I don't want to have towel racks on the doors or store towels on the door, but I still need to have a handy place to grab towels when I step out of the shower. After use, the towels would be put away in a hamper. I will be using smaller gym/spa type towels that will only be used once each and washed on weekends..

I'm trying to find a high quality, removable over the shower towel rack, but I noticed that some of the ones that claim to be over the shower door towel racks are way too wide even for relatively thick glass. They seem to be really designed for hanging over the bathroom entrance door, not a glass shower door and would be quite loose if hung over a shower door. I saw a few on Amazon.com, but they seem a little cheap and I didn't see any of them that had constantly good reviews.
I don't want a floor standing towel stand because there is not enough space to put anything on the floor that would be within arms reach of the shower.without interfering with swinging the shower door open.

I could just throw a towel over the door near the rear of the shower without using a towel rack at all, but it could easily get wet from overspray.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

Why don't you just get a thru-the-glass robe hook? It requires a 1/2" hole in the glass BEFORE it goes to tempering. It looks much less intrusive than an over the top hook.

-Babka

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:48AM
jaxo

Too late. Glass has already been tempered.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 1:35AM
dbfirewife

Even though I have towel hooks straight across from the shower I always take one off the hook and toss it over the side of the shower. I toss it to where about 12" hangs on the inside of the shower, that way when I open the door it's right there, I'm not dripping water reaching for it. I never have a problem with overspray getting the towel wet. Try it, I think you will find it works great....

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:19AM
Olychick

Look at Command Hooks. They are now making brushed nickel or chrome look, etc. in a few different styles. I wouldn't call them top quality, but they are fine looking and will hold a towel easily. You could put one on the wall nearest the entrance so you can reach out and grab your dry towel. Put it above eye level and it won't be noticeable at all. They won't damage the wall or tile/marble. If you have enough room in your shower, you could put one IN the shower out of reach of the spray.

I've had two (to hold wet washcloths to dry before putting in the laundry) in my shower for about 3 years and they seem to do fine in the damp, even direct spray when cleaning the shower.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 1:15PM
dekeoboe

I always just toss mine over the shower door. Our shower is large enough that the half of the towel that is inside the shower does not get wet while I am showering.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 3:38PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Yes, they make Command Hooks in a couple different profiles specifically meant to be used in wet places, i.e. showers. Cheap in cost, but better looking than the over the top hooks I've seen.

-Babka

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 3:59PM
jaxo

Maybe I will be able to use the door handles as a place to hang the towel before stepping into the shower or else if I hang it over the door at the far end of the shower, it won't get wet.
I think a D shaped door handle could probably be used as a makeshift towel holder as long as the opening is big enough to feed the towel through..

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:18PM
Olychick

Or maybe one of these high end suction hooks?

Here is a link that might be useful: glass door suction hooks

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Faux Carrera on floor and in shower, what countertop?
Love the look of all marble bathrooms but I don't have...
rpk1
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
So upset about marble floor
This is how my expensive marble basket weave floor...
aiallega
Replacing The Hideous Blue Bathroom
I started removing the tile from the tub surround....
christina222_gw
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
Sponsored Products
Pizza Peel
$14.99 | zulily
Free Standing Cabinets Racks & Shelves: Gladiator Garage Cabinets 36 in. W x
Home Depot
Blomus Black Log Basket - 65340
$125.99 | Hayneedle
USA Sports by Troy Barbell 2-Tier Compact Dumbbell Rack - GHDR-5
$84.99 | Hayneedle
UMA Enterprises 4 Shelf Bakers Rack - Distressed Teal - 63382
$259.99 | Hayneedle