How do you clean glass shower door

joaniepoanieJuly 20, 2013

Specifically, at the bottom where the glass meets the tile and around the brackets/hardware that hold the glass....those areas get gunked up and have mold. I have tried scrubbing with a toothbrush to no avail...it is such a small,tight area to get to. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fripp_07

First off, you should squeegee the shower glass after the last shower every day. This really reduces moisture that could cause mold/mildew. I would suggest Hi-Sheen Industrial Strength Glass Cleaner (that is what I use) on all glass and mirrors, no less than once a week. That product was recommended to me by my shower enclosure and mirror installer. It works great and you can find it at Amazon and maybe HD.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 9:04PM
rjr220

We were on vacation and at the condo we rented, my DH and I marveled that despite no squeegee in site, no watermarks appeared on the glass shower door after use. I asked the owner what his housekeeper used on the door -- both of us were surprised to find out that she cleans it with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and then squeegees it. So, perhaps a Magic Eraser will do the trick....

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 2:46PM
joaniepoanie

The glass is actually fine...we do squeegee it after every shower...it's just those darn nooks and crannies that are impossible to get to...someone suggested an exacto knife to scrape it out...kind of afraid of this because of scratching...thanks all!

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 11:48AM
millworkman

Not only scratching with the exact-o knife but you would be cutting the silicone and or vinyl strips and then the mildew would end up behind them.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 12:43PM
shanghaimom

My shower glass company recommended using Lysol foam bath cleaner for soap scum as needed. (Maybe once a month. ) He said that it is the only soap scum cleaner they can endorse as being safe (non-corrosive) on their glass.

Perhaps you could squirt that in the hard-to-clean spots, let it sit for a few minutes then clean with a Q-tip or soft toothbrush. I don't use it often because it will also make my anti-scum polish wear off sooner.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 2:36PM
Babka NorCal 9b

There are a lot of products for removing mold/mildew in showers. Have you tried bleach? I get the cruddy dirt out of the corners of my vinyl windows with bamboo skewers. They won't scratch.

-Babka

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Please can you help with bath vanity design issue?
My original bath layout has changed somewhat, due to...
happyallison
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™