Help: Electrical Connection Miele Induction Cooktop

mdodJuly 3, 2009

We picked up our Miele induction cooktop yesterday and I was hoping my husband could finish running the wire and hook it up this weekend. When he opened the box, the wires have this weird connector on the ends.

The installation diagram just shows plain wires. Is there supposed to be a special connection that this hooks into or is this just some kind of protection for the wire ends that we just cut off? My husband went to Lowes to see if he could find anything. They sent him to an electrical supply place and they didn't have a clue either.

Miele is closed today and the sales rep didn't know. He has a call into the Miele rep but since it's a holiday he may not call until Mon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They are fairly standard on Euro kit. I believe they are designed for easy connection to control boards and plugs. If you were to open up the cooktop, or oven, ect... you'd see the other end has the same thing or sometimes eyes and those are attached to the control board with screw terminals.

I'd just get a plug and matching receptacle and wire it up. You could always cut those ends off and hardwire it into the box with wire nuts too. Would be a ba idea to check with your local inspector as some places don't like you to cut those and some don't like 220v plugs that don't come from the factory.

As long as your connections are tight and encased in a UL approved device you are gonna be safe.

    Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 12:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks! We were just at Ace Hardware buying a new chain saw and my husband saw a 220 v plug that he figured was what we needed for it but we held off to see if anyone had a response. Maybe after we cut down these trees we'll try it.

    Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 3:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They're made to go into screw-on terminals. Or clamp-down, as it were.

    Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 4:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hopefully someone can give me a hand....So I am awaiting delivery of a Miele 5773 induction cooktop and I am getting ready to run the 6 gauge (50A) wire for the cooktop.

Do I need to install 6-2 wire or 6-3 wire? Based on the installation manual and the picture above, there are two hots and a ground. No neutral. So I assumed I need to install 6-2 wire but 6-2 wire has a hot, neutral and ground. So it seems I need to run 6-3 wire (2 hots, neutral and ground), but what do I do with the neutral that does not hook up to the cooktop?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!


    Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 9:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No, 6-2 wire has two conductors and a ground. You are allowed to connect the two conductors to two breakers in the box for a 220v circuit (a double breaker). You must put a marking (piece of tape, black or brown) around the white wire at both ends to indicate that it is not a neutral but a 'power' conductor.

However, if this is a new circuit you might want to think about using 6-3 instead. Some time down the road that cooktop might be replace with something than requires a neutral. For the Miele, you would just cap it off inside the box where the other connections are made.

    Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 11:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Great thanks for the info. I am going to run 6-3 for future proofing and just cap the neutral in the box.

Thanks for your help.

    Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 7:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Because disconnection of power to the cooktop may require disconnection of this cable (unless the breaker box has or supports lock-out means or is in view of the cooktop), it is better to use tap type connectors (see link for one example) in the box where this cable terminates instead of, say, large wire nuts, such as the pale blue size. The box has to be big enough to fit the tap connectors, as well as handling the bend radius limits and volume that apply to number six conductors in boxes.

Alternatively, taped up u-bolt connectors can be used. In both cases, the crimp on the cable keeps the strands from wandering about and potentially not contributing to the current path. If stranded number six conductors are used on the supply side, similar crimp sleeves should be used for tap connectors and u-bolts. MSC Direct is one source of crimp sleeves.


Here is a link that might be useful: Greaves Corp PBS2 for example, page 56

    Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 6:38PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
When should a boiler-warranty start?
We have a dispute with the company, that installed...
Convection Microwave vs Speed Cook Microwave Help
We are remodeling our basement to include a kitchenette...
Teresa Cooper
Parts question: Fridgidaire Gas Stove Igniter
The oven igniter on our gas stove quit working. I went...
Pooh Bear
Flimsy dishwasher!
I have to admit that I have never heard of most of...
Need Advice on Best Gas Range/Cooktop for Short Person
I will be getting either a new gas cooktop or a dual-fuel...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™