Cast Iron or Vitreous China Sink? Which Would You Choose?

RareindigoJuly 24, 2012

Narrowed my sink decision down to three - all are Kohler. The Bryant is Vitreous china. The Ellington and Farmington are both cast iron. Which would you recommend - the china or cast iron? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmcg

I love cast iron sinks - especially for a kitchen. They just seem to hold a shine and get less grungy. Good ones (i.e. Kohler) are fairly indestructable. But in a bathroom that's not getting a ton of wear and tear, I think china is also fine.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 11:54PM
busybee3

i have 2 cast iron sinks in the bathroom which i really like- very easy to clean, etc... don't have any vitreous china sinks, so can't comment...

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 10:52AM
writersblock

In a bathroom I think either is fine. It's not like you'll be dropping heavy objects into it all the time, the way you would in a kitchen. I'd go for the one you like best.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:01PM
jendien

Pick the one you like the best aesthetically - a vitreous china sink and a cast iron sink will both hold up equally well over time.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 11:51PM
divotdiva

I had one in the kitchen (Kohler) which held up well but I had to clean with Barkeeper's Friend or pumice occasionally. We rented out our house for about 2 years and when we moved back, the tenant had chipped or cracked something in the bathroom sink, causing the cast iron sink to rust and the porcelain to flake off. So just treat it with respect. It worked for about 16 years before the chip. Our tubs are both Kohler cast iron and still holding up (20 years) but we plan to renovate MB.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 9:07PM
writersblock

> causing the cast iron sink to rust and the porcelain to flake off.

This does happen eventually. The current sinks in my bathrooms are from 1979 and they're just starting to develop rust spots (we have horrible over treated well water).

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 11:00PM
Olychick

I have cast iron sink in main bath from 1983 and it is rusting at the connection with the drain hardware - we have softest water possible. It's in fine shape otherwise, but to replace it requires a full bath update...tile counter that will be ruined taking out the sink...matching tile bath surround that will have to be replaced to match the updated vanity area, etc. I wouldn't buy cast iron again.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 3:50AM
More Discussions
Want to share a recent experience
I've never posted on this forum before, but I've been...
laceyvail
Textured tile on the floor of shower for safety?
I read this suggestion somewhere, has anyone used this...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™