Help finishing exterior- at a loss???

sweet_tea_June 11, 2014

We're in the middle of construction of our house and I'm stumped on what to do with the doors. The exterior is cypress board and batten siding, stained SW Spice Chest, with cypress beams in SW Hawthorne. The foundation is covered in a natural slate rock from our property. Ignore the temp porch posts, they will be rocked at the base and wrapped in cypress stained the dark Hawthorne to match the beams.

The doors are fiberglass with a stainable/paintable jamb, I'm torn as to what to do. Do I stain them? If so, dark like like the beams? Or paint them? If so I'm leaning toward a mossy green. Or something totally different? I also have a screen porch on the east side of the house with french doors and 2 back doors that I need to figure out as well.

We have sheetrock up and my husband is ready to be able to lock the house up, I would like to paint/stain doors before we put on the hardware. I appreciate any help or advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweet_tea_

Another angle of the siding, it's hard to get a good picture, our dirt work is not finished.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 2:26PM
sweet_tea_

It's hard to get an accurate idea of the siding colors. Here's one more picture.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 2:53PM
rrah

With all of that beautiful wood, I would suggest something brighter to draw attention to the door. I can see the mossy green, but I think I would choose something blue so that the door doesn't get "lost." It looks like there might be some bluish or gray shades in the stone.

You might post this on the decorating forum also.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 3:20PM
dekeoboe

With all of that beautiful wood, I would suggest something brighter to draw attention to the door.

That was my thought too. I would want the front door to stand out.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 3:25PM
sweet_tea_

Thanks for the feedback rrah and dekeoboe!

That's kinda what I was afraid of if I stained it. I was thinking of a green like SW Thyme Green or a blueish green like SW Retreat. There are some blue/gray tones in some of the rocks.

Or do you have any other specific color suggestions?
Also, what about shutters? Same as door color?

I posted in decor forum as well.
Thanks!

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 3:44PM
illinigirl

yess! make it stand out. It will look great. I love the exterior of your house, it's so amazing with the stained wood. nice job!

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 7:17AM
nepool

I like the tones of both those greens, but would go down 1 more color on the wheel so that the door stands out a bit more. Perhaps SW 6206 Oyster Bay?

The woodwork is gorgeous!

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 7:23AM
Annie Deighnaugh

What's your favorite color? Use it.

Or find an inspiration. Perhaps one of these design seeds...

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 8:04AM
sweet_tea_

illigirl- Thanks for the kind words! I've been following your build, yours is looking fabulous and I wish I as far along as you!

nepool- Thanks! I will check out SW Oyster Bay as well. Thanks for the compliment! I think they did a great job on the siding, the cypress is all rough sawn from a local mill and didn't always want to cooperate!

Annie- Thanks for taking the time to put the seeds together! You're so good at pulling those together so fast!

We both usually lean towards greens,and other natural, earthy tones. But I have been tossing around a more blueish hued green, similar to the first design seed. That's where I got myself confused, will a blue/green tone look better than thyme green with the rock/ siding or conflict. DH is not much help, so I shamelessly came to GW to beg for help!
Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:43AM
rrah

I love the peacock blue in the last seed.(the second from the right) It's bright, but dark at the same time if that makes sense.

I tend to favor greens (my front door is green/black), but something about this house says "blue." I could see you painting the door and sidelights in this blue with the same stain color as the other trim around it.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:39PM
sweet_tea_

rrah- Do you mean stain the wood strips (I don't know their real name) that separate the door, sidelights and transom the dark brown and paint just the fiberglass door body parts blue? If so, I hadn't thought of that either, I guess I was just thinking of doing everything the same color . Now you've given me something else to think about!!
:)

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 5:13PM
chicagoans

That's a great house! Here are some rough mockups using some of the colors above. (The door would look better IRL because I have just pasted in blocks of color here, so the nuances of the door's panels etc are lost.) Also the door would be in shadow, so the colors would be a bit more muted.

HTH

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 7:21PM
sweet_tea_

chicagoans- Thanks for the kind words. It's been a labor of love, and it's never-ending! :)

Thanks for taking the time to do that! That's awesome!! I'm liking the 1, 5 and 6. What did you plug in there?
Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 8:40PM
amberm145_gw

I was thinking of a red, like the mushroom seed picture.

I also like the first one that chicagoans posted.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:02PM
chicagoans

1 - top blue from Annie's post, next to boarded hues
5 - bottom row of Annie's post, second from left
6 - left most color under the mushroom picture

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:04PM
Eyegirlie

Sweet tea, I would cross post on the home decorating forum as we'll. They can be really helpful with this sort of thing.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Master Bedroom Floorplan Review
Hello, I am currently working on building a new house...
mary8153
homeowner's association
totally OT, but... would you, did you, or will you be...
energy_rater_la
What is your favorite feature about your house?
Do you have one or several favorite features or a...
Darla Grossman
It's April 2015- How is your build progressing?
No fooling- it's April! Winter is slowly losing its...
mushcreek
Other places to purchase building materials besides HD and Lowes?
I want to see if there are other suppliers of building...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lighting. Tori 11 in. Fluorescent Exterior Sconce, Black Frame with Fros
$97.20 | Home Depot
Envelope Wall-Mount Mailbox - Verde Copper
Signature Hardware
Little Cottage Sara Victorian 10 x 18 Mansion Wood Playhouse Multicolor - 10X18M
Hayneedle
Carson Weathered Bronze Two-Light Outdoor Fixture
$179.99 | Bellacor
Copper Patio Torch with Filigree Wall Bracket - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
American Fyre Designs Grand Cordova Outdoor Fireplace - 882-35-N-CB-RUC-NAT
Hayneedle
Chandler Anchor Bronze 11-Inch One-Light Outdoor Wall Mounted
$319.00 | Bellacor
Illumine Wall Mounted 1-Light Outdoor Hanging White Deep Bowl Pendant CLI-100
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™