Help!! What *M U S T* you have before Certificate of Occupancy ?

angela12345June 2, 2011

What is the minimum you MUST have before CO ?

I assume all electrical must be done and HVAC. All plumbing ? Which appliances ? Door hardware ? Closet rods/shelving ?

These things I would think do not have to be done before CO ? ... final coat interior paint, all exterior paint(?), hardwood floors or carpet, clean up, bath towel bars. Anything else that can wait ?

At our location, I think gutters and landscaping DO have to be done for CO. I am also pretty sure that the driveway has to be done.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrisk327

I'm not sure its 100% universal, but my understanding is that finished flooring needs to be in, a coat of paint on the walls, handrails, all plumbing needs to be finished, same with electric.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 2:27PM
lazy_gardens

It is not universal ... call your city, county or wherever you got the building permits from.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 4:04PM
brickeyee

Call the AHJ.

They should be able to direct you how to get he list.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 4:25PM
renovator8

What you "must" have are building code controlled elements properly installed and in working order. Anything in addition to that would be up to the code official but safety should be the primary concern.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 6:39PM
sue36

Totally varies by place. We were required to have finish electrical (but a cover plate over anything would count). Needed one sink and toilet. I think that was it. Oh, smoke alarms. They bank required the house to be basically done, though (95% I think). So we had the CO, but hadn't closed on the mortgage.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 12:21AM
brickeyee

"What you "must" have are building code controlled elements properly installed and in working order. Anything in addition to that would be up to the code official but safety should be the primary concern."

It completely depends on local laws.

Most places require water, sewer, and electricity.
In cold climates they normally include heat, but there are hot climates with no requirement to even have heat and AC is rarely required.

My BIL had to have window screens installed on every operable window.
Leaning on the wall under the window was not adequate (despite the house having installed and operational AC).

Some places make it hard to get a CO with anything above grade unfinished, while others are content to keep the building permit active (not for free) while spaces are finished.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
What is your favorite feature about your house?
Do you have one or several favorite features or a...
Darla Grossman
Septic System Allowance
Hello, Has anyone on the forum had an allowance for...
kelsey_grow
Master Bedroom Floorplan Review
Hello, I am currently working on building a new house...
mary8153
Door heights and sliding door
We are remodeling a small apartment in a modern high...
tzameret
Master bath/closet suggestions
My wife and I are planning on building a house. We...
stancial
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™