beadboard

musicteacherJuly 16, 2013

I agreed with my contractor to put beadboard in the bathroom - including as a bathtub surround. We only occasionally use the tub and I figured if it is caulked and painted well that a few splashes won't be a problem. We even talked of using the plastic "beadboard" at least in the wet areas. I came home today to see much of it on the walls and he used the Masonite type. I am sure that when he trims and paints it will look much better, but isn't this just asking for trouble in the bathroom? The back looks almost like cardboard and I just picture it warping and swelling all over the place. Am I all wet (no pun intended) or should I say something?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Yep, masonite or hardboard panels are not made for wet areas especially showers from what I can remember (have not sold that type product in a few years). There used to be some on the market that were sold as being able to be used in a shower area but from what I recall they were not worth a dam.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 8:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
musicteacher

I looked it up at HD and evidently it is called pressboard not Masonite. It is not in the shower, but IS above the separate whirlpool bathtub, and on the wall backing up to the shower, behind the toilet, etc. I feel like it is adding a really cheap look to what I was hoping would be a quality looking bathroom - and making it not at all durable.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Does this look like fake or real marble to you ?
Would a whole floor of this material look like real...
lillo
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™