filter for prep sink + ice maker

sstrazisarJuly 31, 2013

Hi all, I know there is a lot of info on the forums re: filtration, but I'm struggling with this particular question. I've asked two plumbing supply houses for their recommendations, and have yet to hear back (it's been 1 week). My contractor has no opinion, and will install "whatever we choose", so no help there either.

We will have a cold water only bar sink next to our fridge, which has an internal icemaker. Ideally, I'd like to have a single faucet of my own choosing on the sink, which will likely only be used for drinking water. I'd also like to filter the water going to the icemaker if possible. We have municipal water that contains chloramine, and we prefer the taste of filtered water (currently using Brita pitcher).

Can I use one filter for both the drinking water & ice maker? Basically, put the filter on the cold water inlet, and then Tee off to the icemaker? Or do they need separate filters? I'm afraid it might get a bit crowded under the sink!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakvis

yes you can use one filter and just T it to the icemaker and sink.
Personally I'm a fan of the Everpure filters but there are many good ones out there.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 4:22PM
philwojo99

I can't comment on if the "T" will work, but I would assume it would as Jakvis stated.

I would comment, though, that a Brita pitcher and a good quality under sink filter are two different things completely. Some people don't like the taste of really good filtered water, just wanted to point that out. But I would say that wouldn't really be an issue, I always prefer my filtered water to just plan tap or even bottled water.

Phil

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 5:12PM
sstrazisar

Thanks Jakvis and Phil! Local plumbing supply store recommended insinkerator, but they seem more for hot water taps.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Can't adjust door spring on Miele Futura Dimension DW (G 5675
We just installed my new Miele dishwasher and the door...
jan_in_davis
Hood Decision - Zephyr vs Kobe
I need to make a decision on a hood to put over a 36"...
michfbgal
Sealed vs Open Gas Burners
What's the difference between sealed gas burners and...
cbarkston
need help - with Miele DW and Ikea Sektion panel
Hi All, Getting a Sektion kitchen. I want a Miele...
Kathy Rohde
Wolf gas/induction modules
We must make a commitment to appliances next week for...
judydenver
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™