laptop keyboard won't work

bunny_loverFebruary 13, 2007

my laptop keyboard stopped working. i am using the onscreen keyboard and im driving myself insane. help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

look in device manager for errors
look in Event logs for errors

did you spill something on it ?

what make laptop. .. assume xp ? some laptops have key combo when you press you switch to a real keyboard,, some work instantly with a usb keyboard. Try one.

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 9:04PM
bunny_lover

no spills, acer aspire 3000, windows xp

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 9:10PM
mikie_gw

Try pressing at the same time
Fn + F11
thats sort of the num lock sequence that changes the keyboards middle group of keys to a keypad,, does numbers rather than letters ... maybe you've done that by accident ?

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 9:32PM
bunny_lover

We think it is a battery problem. My DH took the battery out and all is fine! Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 9:34PM
grady

I have a dell inspiron 2650 that on ocassion wants to balk on me. Disconnecting wall plug and THEN removing battery for about one second has remedied a lot of problems. Grady

Bookmark   February 14, 2007 at 6:44AM
squeechfl_yahoo_com

I have an ACER Aspire 3050 laptop and had the same problem with the touch pad and keyboard.
I know this may seem simplified...but before you run through all the issues/processes offered to help your keyboard/mouse react again, try charging the battery for a night or two.
The laptop did not work at full function right away (after the first night of charging) but did show some signs of improvement, like some aspects of the keyboard reacting.
I had not used my laptop in a while due to a programming issue. By the time I had it fixed, the battery went dead. If the keyboard works without the battery in, after you finish working on the laptop, try keeping the laptop powered on with the battery in it when you are away or asleep.
This will very likely charge the battery again and restore function to your keyboard.
I am using the laptop keyboard to write this with what I originally thought was a corrupt battery, now functioning just fine.
Remember, I noticed the night before that some keystrokes were showing, where there was no reaction before. The battery took more than one night to be up at full power...but it is fine now.
I saved myself more than $40.00 by not purchasing a replacement. Hope this helps. :)

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Recommendations for free backup software
I used to have Retrospect Express as my backup software...
secsteve
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
GW/Houzz page rendering on my browser
Weird question about GW/Houzz, over the last six months,...
dbarron
Adobe flash player and pdf reader installation on Win8
I have a new Win 8 touch screen laptop. I've been using...
hald
What a mess!
My user name on this forum is/was Tosh has been for...
oldschool
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™