Orange staining in remodeled bathroom

aka_jojofishJuly 13, 2013

We added a bathroom in 2009 to our 1940s Cape Cod. Since then I have been fighting orange staining on the shower tile grout, the shower pan, the toilet bowl, and around the silicone in the drain in the sink and shower pan. This does not happen in either our powder room (which has the original fixtures) or our second floor bath. We added a kitchen addition at the same time, but those surfaces are stainless steel so it is hard to tell if the same thing is happening. When we change our water filter, it is a reddish orange color also. Pex was used in the new addition and also replaced the pipes to the second story bath. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycbluedevil

Sounds like a bacteria growing from moisture. Try using bleach. Do you have adequate ventilation?

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 8:04AM
Babka NorCal 9b

Strange indeed. I had to look up Pex to discover what you were referring to. Way down on the Wikipedia page it speaks of problems with iron in the water supply and radiant heating, but I don't think that applies to you.

Also discovered this link at the Terry Love Plumbing forum.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange stains (iron) with Pex

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 1:32PM
tinan

Orange staining is usually from iron in your water or it can be a type of algae. I'd get your water tested for iron, if it is high it's not harmful but you can get special filters to remove it to prevent staining. If it is algae, keeping things dry and using dilute bleach or hydrogen peroxide will help.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
banjo sink? opinions?
just learned that a BANJO sink is one (or its surrounding...
mainewire
Vanity from CabinetDIY - FYI
Just an FYI: we started to build the vanity from a...
melle_sacto
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
So upset about marble floor
This is how my expensive marble basket weave floor...
aiallega
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™