Bathroom mirror/medicine cabinet

donnar57July 8, 2013

Hmmm....thought I hit "Submit", not "Cancel". So, trying again.

We are going into a bathroom refurbishment. It's a remodel, but not an extensive one. We need to gut both the upstairs and the master bathroom, and put in new vanities, medicine chests and mirrors, toilets, and shower/bath combo (upstairs) and shower stall downstairs. Paint, put in new flooring. The upstairs is pretty well planned out and doesn't have any problems. The master bath is another story.

The vanity is in a 48" space surrounded by walls on 3 sides. There is a short wall on the right, creating a divider between the vanity area, and the toilet/shower stall area. We believe it is a load-bearing wall and is therefore staying right there during the remodel/refurbish.

My husband wants a unique type of mirror and medicine cabinet combination. He saw one somewhere and thought it would be pretty neat to have, but in combining our big-box stores and some local K&B stores, we're not finding anything like it. The unit had a plain mirror in the middle, and then two corner medicine cabinets flanking it. It matched the wood in the bathroom vanity.

Now, I'm thinking something like this might be custom made (and probably out of our budget). Unless someone here has an idea?

I told him, maybe we should get two corner mirrored medicine chests that either match or compliment the vanity wood, and then a plain mirror (or a framed one) in the middle. Fortunately for us, we haven't picked out a vanity for the master bath yet. But once again, finding cornered mirrored medicine cabinets in any of the stores we've tried, has not been successful.

If anyone has other ideas that would be similar, or even the name of the object he is looking for (so I can do a Google search), I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gabbythecat

Your dh has an interesting idea. I thought I'd seen everything while planning our new house - obviously I haven't!

Do you know where you are getting your vanity? If you've thought about a custom shop - and custom is amazingly affordable - they could do any kind/size of vanity and matching mirror/medicine cabinet configuration you would like.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 9:29PM
naadimre

i know it's not what you're asking about, but Robern makes an awesome cabinet called the Uplift. we're getting it for our 48" vanity in our bathroom remodel. it is very unique and has quite a "wow" factor.
it can be recessed or wall mounted, has outlets inside, has an optional defogger and LED nightlight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robern Uplift

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 2:22PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Like this? I did a Google search for "3 part mirror medicine cabinet" and this was at the top of the page from Signature Hardware.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 part mirror medicine cabinet

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 2:45PM
donnar57

Babka, my MIL had one of those types of medicine cabinets. I liked it, but hubby doesn't.

What he is envisioning: 2 triangular corner mounted medicine cabinets, with the door being a mirror. Between the two, a mirror, either built into a frame or just mounted on the wall with a frame. The wood needs to match the vanity's wood.

I've linked a sample of a corner medicine cabinet with a mirror. Picture one of those in two corners of the alcove, with a mirror in between;

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner mounted medicine cabinet

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 3:01PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Ah, now I see what you mean. You have nothing to lose in getting a quote from a local cabinet shop. And as Gladys says above, they can be surprisingly affordable and you can get exactly what you want that will fit perfectly.

-Babka

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
? Factory sealed carrera tile- anyone??
I went to the tile store today and was planning on...
amspinn
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™