Help with Crown Molding

KevinMPJuly 17, 2012

I know this is the bathroom forum, but some of you are already familiar with some of my story and my taste, so I thought I'd try here as well as in the other heavily trafficked forum for kitchens.

I'm having my same contractor install crown molding in my downstairs dining room (which could also be a living room depending on how you wanted to furnish my house).

Here are the pictures. Bear in mind that the ceiling height is about 10' and that the crown must deadened in multiple places: by the steps in two places, one of which will require a mitered return and the other of which will butt into the white support by the staircase, and one on either side of the palladiian window.

I'm leaning towards using baseboard on the ceiling and wall, abutting each other, and then attaching the crown to the baseboard. Something like this:

Do you agree? Is it too much? Should I use a more plain crown, or should I use dental to pick up the dental highlights on the mantle? There's not much going on in this house. It's fairly plain as far as woodwork is concerned, and I think it could handle a little interest. Thank you for your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

I'd use the inverted "baseboard" on the wall but not on the ceiling. Then the cove crown shown in the photo versus the ogee crown shown in the drawing.

I'd not use dentil.

Are your walls plaster? You could incorporate picture rail molding. then artwork hangs off of hooks that go on the picture molding instead of on nails driven into the walls.

I should have a photo somewhere...

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Master bath remodel - faucet help
I'm trying to decide between a few faucets for my sinks...
melissapta
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
ahmnj
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™