how to clean Kohler slip-resistant surface

hifixerJuly 14, 2012

I recently had a Kohler Villager tub installed. During the course of installation of the shower trim, wall tiles, etc. the slip resistant surface of the tub got dirty. I think it's mostly from the bottoms of the construction guys' shoes. I waited till all the construction was done before I attempted to clean the tub(about 2 weeks later). But now I cannot get all the brownish/grayish stains out. What do you use to clean your Kohler slip-resistant surface?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

Lysol basin, tub, and tile cleaner aerosol or a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser usually do the trick on my Kohler cast iron shower receptor and Toto tubs' no-slip grips.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 9:00PM
williamsem

We just put in a Sterling tub, made by Kohler. Once a week I spray it with the Comet bathroom stuff, let it sit while I brush my teeth, then rinse, shower, and scrub with a magic eraser. So far looks great and takes about 10 minutes in all.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 11:06PM
busybee3

what i have found works best on our cast iron shower pan is ZUD... magic erasers are pretty effective, but take a very long time, don't hold up well and don't clean quite as well as zud...(tho maybe the ME bathroom specific scrub ones are stronger...)

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 8:28AM
phylhl

I have been wondering the same thing. can you use soft scrub on a Kohler tub?

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 9:30AM
biochem101

I agree that the slip resistant strips in the bottom of the Kohler tubs look dirty. Not happy about it either. My bathroom was finished a couple months ago and I wish I'd seen the tub in person before buying it. It's impossible to see those strips in an internet photo.

Mine was/is the same way. I cleaned it up after the contractors, but it seems to get dirty looking again! No one is walking in there in their shoes. My old tub had no strips, nor did it get dirty looking like this one.

I've been wishing I could slice them off with a razor blade.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 8:35PM
hifixer

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power, so I tried that and it worked very well. It took a while to scrub the whole bottom and I ended up using a whole sponge but the slip-resistant surface looks as good as new!

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 2:12AM
pammie

I recently used an idea from Pinterest: Fill a spray bottle with a 1:1 ratio of white distilled vinegar and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Spray on your tub (and tile, if you desire) and let sit for about 5 minutes. Use a soft sponge to wipe clean.
I am not kidding you when I say that I was AMAZED with the results!!!! It was so easy, so cheap, and the materials aren't caustic.
Let me know if you try it and how it works for you.
You're welcome, in advance... :-)

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 1:31PM
mydreamhome

Same issues here for YEARS!!! First Kaboom worked--then after a few months of using it every week, not so much. Moved on to Lysol cleaner which worked for a few months of using it every week, then not so much. In the end, the best way I found to clean the slip resistant surface to a clean white every week (with a cleaning power that lasted more than a few months)is to use Bar Keepers Friend to scrub the tub. A regular sponge will do. Wet the tub surface & the sponge, sprinkle BKF in the tub, do a light "scrub" (just enough to make a paste over the tub bottom), let that sit while you scrub the tub sides then scrub the tub bottom and rinse.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
Replacement parts for Restoration Hardware Pivot Mirror
Hi All, I have a 24x30 rectangular pivot restoration...
isb182
Bathtub width - Kohler Archer?
I am looking for a bathtub that has a deeper soak (my...
lineterry
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™