Email address hacked

leelFebruary 2, 2014

Apparently my email address has been hacked & I'm being inundated w/ messages of mail being returned as undeliverable, mainly from email sent to German addresses, altho a few are from other European countries.

Any way to interrupt this flood, other than blocking & sending to spam?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azinoh

Web mail or email client? Change your password if you are able.

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 4:34PM
leel

Microsoft Outlook 2010. Can't change the address; too many other problems if I do:(

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 8:55PM
owbist

But there should be nothing to stop you changing the password as azinoh suggested.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 6:43AM
not2bright

Do you use Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, AOL? Outlook 2010 may be the client you use to manage your email, but you can check and/or modify settings at your actual provider's site to help with things. You may, for example, be able to check past activity and see if/when an unfamiliar IP address was used to login to your account. You should also check to see if settings have changed (a new forwarding address added? a new filter added? an alternate email or cell phone number added/changed? Etc.).

But at the same time it's not necessarily the case that your account has been hacked. If all you're getting is 'email undeliverable' kinds of emails, it's possible that your email address was merely spoofed by some spammer, which doesn't require their having access to your account. When the emails couldn't reach their intended recipients for whatever reasons, they were returned to the spoofed/fake address used to send them: yours. If this is the case, it might just be a brief inundation of email which will quickly subside once all the undeliverables are 'returned' to you. In the meantime, you could create a temporary filter at your webmail site telling it to delete all emails with a return to sender type subject. Other than that, I don't think there's anything to do to stop the flood. :-(

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 7:43AM
DA_Mccoy

Time to check for malware and viruses. The hijacking of an Outlook addressbook has been a reoccurring concern for as long as I can remember.

DA

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 7:48AM
More Discussions
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
Video playing automatically
I have Flash disabled yet still get videos playing,...
davestexas
Lenovo Preinstalls Malware on Laptops
On the Yahoo News Tech page today, February 19, 2015,...
haldd
About those Garden Web Styles themes and skins for Firefox
I see they are authored by GW members. Thank you everyone....
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
My computer just got infected - what to do ASAP
I clicked on a website that I was familiar with but...
debo_2006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™