Addict Thing

bus_driverFebruary 9, 2013

This pops up on eBay and on Craigslist whenever I search for something. More annoying than helpful. I cannot find it in my list of programs and thus the uninstall instructions on their website are useless- probably quite intentional. Most of the stuff on their website is just baloney.
Is this on my computer or on the websites I visit? How to get rid of it permanently?

Here is a link that might be useful: Here

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

What brower are you using..
maybe;;;; Go thru all the browsers I guess.. the PlugIn's and add-on's and extensions and toolbars. They probably all have it.

You're probably cookied up too... clear the cookies and temporary internet files.

Right click your desktop and look at Gadgets Menu ??

If you have CCleaner look in the program startup section and its tabs.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 4:49PM
acraftylady

Sounds like this or at least it's what I found googling and tells how to remove. I run malewarebytes after removing this type of stuff. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: addict thing

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 7:11PM
grandms

Mary, the site you linked has a very poor rating from WOT. I think this is because they try to get you to download something. However, they do give instructions for manually removing, but OP has written that it is not listed in his ADD/REMOVE in Control Panel.

I would be very leery of downloading something from such a website.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 8:48PM
bus_driver

My browser is Mozilla Firefox. I ran CCleaner just this past Monday. I just bought and ran MalwareBytes since my free trial ran out a couple of moths ago. It found nothing. I am trying to grasp all that mikie posted-- most of those are things I know nothing about.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 8:56PM
acraftylady

Oops didn't see that was just looking that they showed how to uninstall instructions. In googling I think it's a browser add on? If it were me I would run malewarebytes and see what it finds and look in the browser for add ons. There were many more places on google that talked about it. Mary

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 8:58PM
acraftylady

Wait did malewarebytes change and it's not free anymore? Haven't ran it in a few weeks but the one I use was never a trial and always completely free. I use the one that says free download and it has never asked me to pay. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: malewarebytes

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:01PM
acraftylady

Ok read here. Look for buzzdock adds in the control panel. Seems they are connected? Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: buzzdock

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:05PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

malwarebytes is free I am concerned what you bought. There's a pay version but what you are describing doesn't sound right.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 10:19PM
acraftylady

Malewarebytes pro has a 14 day free trial. Maybe that's what they are using. Mary

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 10:29PM
llaatt22

I was having a similar type of annoyance and I found a Firefox Addon for Adblock Plus called Adblock Plus Popup. You just right click on anything that shows up and select "block this site" and that's it.
Maybe someone knows if it has any issues?

Here is a link that might be useful: adblock plus popup

This post was edited by laat2 on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 2:58

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 2:53AM
bus_driver

Finally clicked on "Tools" on the browser. Click on "Add Ons" in the drop down -- there was Addict Thing and some other stuff. Click "Remove." Seems to be gone. It possibly would be helpful at times but was very intrusive and annoying.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 7:11AM
owbist

From here

So far we don't see any alerts for this browser helper, but if you don't use any function on this browser helper object. It's better to remove it

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 7:42AM
bus_driver

My computer has Internet Explorer which I rarely use. IE did not have the Addict Thing. As best I remember, the Addict Thing was found at "Extensions" on Mozilla.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 13:50

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 9:32AM
acraftylady

Look in add remove for buzzdock because from what I read it comes with that add on. Glad you got rid of it. Wonder how it got there in the first place if you didn't install it? Mary

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
How to uninstall Avast From my laptop
I will be removing Avast from my laptop windows 7 computer...
thirdfrt
Anyone else getting Lottery spam since HOUZZ took over?
Of my various e-mail accounts, only the one I use on...
lazy_gardens
Super-AntiSpyware - where do I go to get it?
Super-antispyware - that IS the GOOD one, isn't it?...
Janey - formerly jane2
Is this screen for real or is it a virus
On multiple sites I am getting a message at the top...
paulsmth2
Safe email emoticon download for FF or Chrome?
I don't find a "search" option in the new...
Evenshade 8a
Sponsored Products
48" x 36" Rectangular Frameless Corner Shower Enclosure With Curved Front
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™