12x24 floor tiles: Brick pattern, or not?

joannembJuly 30, 2012

I can't find a lot of pictures of this and would love your insight...

I'm doing white glossy subway tiles on the walls (traditional brick layout) with silver shadow grout. The floor is a white matte porcelain (marble look-alike) called Sorrento by Rex I Bianchi. Very little veining---It has some subtle mottling, but it is mostly white. It is rectified and I am planning on laying them as close as possible, and using a slightly darker grout than the walls (OR sticking with the silver shadow.)

My questions are:

1.) Should I lay the floor in a brick pattern? That is what I had origionally planned to do, but now that I'm going with darker grout (had previously thought white) I realize that the pattern will be more prounounced and I wonder if it will be "too much brick" all over. Should I place them in rows one directly on top of the other? How do you usually see this size laid on a floor?

2.) Could I stay with silver shadow grout on the floor too? Or do most people tend to go one shade darker than what is on the walls?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

Regarding the brick layout with the large format tiles: I believe that these are treated a bit differently than the standard 1/2 layout running bond pattern. There is a slight bow to large format tiles. So is has been recommended to layout the running bond type layout at 1/3 or 1/4. Otherwise the ends stick up (or down?) too much causing "lipage" when set at 1/2. Maybe someone with more expertise and experience with this topic can weigh-in.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 8:23PM
cat_mom

We used large format/rectangular tile in two of our bathrooms. In the MB, the 8x20's on the tub surround walls, and 12x24's (?) on the floor, are laid in a straight or stacked pattern. Both tile are rectified porcelain, with somewhat tight grout lines. In our hall bathroom, the 4x12 rectified porcelain tub surround tile, and the 6x12 travertine tile were laid in a brick joint pattern. Also, somewhat tight grout lines.

We, and our tile guy, felt that keeping the pattern consistent between the floors and walls, given the fact that the floor and wall tile were all similar in shape, made for a nice "flow" so to speak.

We always try to match the grout as closely as possible to tile, to make the grout lines blend-in as best as they can. This, of course, is personal preference. :-)

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 8:42PM
elphaba_gw

What about a chevron pattern - these in the picture are smaller than 12X24 but give the idea -
I'm thinking of doing this - but I suspect it will cost more than brick pattern - haven't asked yet - still thinking

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 11:16PM
carolt924

We just finished installing 3X6 inch high gloss subway tile on our bathtub/shower walls and also laid 12X24 porcelain tiles on the floor in a herringbone pattern which I think looks great and a bit unexpected.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 9:26AM
kirkhall

Pictures please! We are getting close to picking all our stuff for 2 bathrooms. I really like herringbone, but hope to see it in more pictures. Would you all share pictures, please?

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 9:01PM
KevinMP

Herringbone may require more tile (for cutting) and also costs more because of the increased labor (or so I was told by several contractors). I ended up going with brick pattern and used 9"x18", which should give you a good idea of what the sizing would look like. And it saved me money. I was also concerned with the large tiles about the pattern being too busy for my small bathroom (about 110 square feel and rectangular).

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 1:30PM
salbwil

Kevin,
love your bathroom ! Did your recessed panels come that way, or did your carpenter make them ? If they came that way, do you know where from ?
Thank you,
Salbwil

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:39AM
KevinMP

My contractor built the wainscoting. It seemed to be fairly straightforward.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
108 year old claw foot tub stamped HYS
I've been having a very hard time trying to identify...
flippincrazy
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Sponsored Products
Blue Atlas Round High Outdoor Dining Table - Black, 30" Round, Patio Furniture
$949.00 | FRONTGATE
Sample - Metallic Styx Starry Night Glass Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Couristan Dolce Brindisi Indoor / Outdoor Area Rug - 40776025023311T
$29.00 | Hayneedle
Standard Furniture Marilyn Youth 6 Drawer Dresser in Glossy White
Beyond Stores
Belham Living San Miguel Cast Aluminum Dining Arm Chair with Wicker Seat- Set of
$809.98 | Hayneedle
Sample - Cirque Stainless Metal Tile
$2.99 | TileBar
Oasis Round Outdoor Outdoor Bistro Table - Black, 30" Round, Patio Furniture
$849.00 | FRONTGATE
Tangier Tiles Pillow Cover in Blue
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™