Kohler DTV water not draining fast enought

trader14July 16, 2012

So we put in a kohler DTV in with 3 body sprays and a ceiling watertile that has 4 individual bodysprays on it. Now when all bodysprays and watertiles are on a lot of water comes out. We only have a 2" drain and because of the way the pipes are situated going to a larger drain wasn't a option. I doubt there is anything we can do but thought i'd reach out and ask if anyone had any suggestions. thanks and cheers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loves2cook4six

Over here that system would not have met code. A 2" drain is rated at 6 gpm and if each spray is rated at 2 gpm so you have 8 gpm draining just from the watertile and if you're using the body sprays at the same time, you are attempting to drain 14 gallons per minute through a drain that can only drain 6 gallons per minute. You need a minimum 3" pipe ALL the way to the sewer.

In addition if any other lines, like the sink or bathtub, drain into the same pipe you could exacerbate the problem.

All I can say is you'd better be careful the water doesn't overflow your shower pan and cause real damage.

And is your water heater big enough to give you enough hot water. At 14 gpm you could get an almost three minute shower from a 50 gallon hot water heater, maybe 5 if you mix in cold water.

LOL but DH would die laughing if he could see the things I've needed to learn to remodel our own bathroom including the dream shower he wants

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 10:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

That will never pass inspection if you go to sell. It's a flood hazard, and if you have an issue, it's doubtful your insurance company would pay a claim because you deliberately violated code. Get rid of the ceiling watertile and you will probably be fine.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Strom Thermostatic Control Valve & Volume Controls for Shower
I am looking at the Strom Plumbing shower system for...
nancyinmich
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™