Can grab bar be added in shower

winesnobJuly 30, 2012

I guess my first post on this subject sounds so pathetic. Every Monday I end up crying about something. Shower is done, except for hardware, can the grab bar be added with out tearing something out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmcg

Have you asked your contractor if he can attach it to studs? (He should know the spacing of the studs) Or did he put reinforcement under the shower wall when you weren't looking? Your post doesn't say if he totally forgot the grab bar, so maybe you don't have to cry yet. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 8:58PM
coolbeansw

Ooh, 6 months is an eternity. Breathe in, breathe out. You'll get your grab bar installed and this ordeal will be DONE.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 9:42PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It has to be installed into the studs and blocking between the studs. So, the stud location has to be known without a doubt before you start drilling. Most grab bars are bigger than 32", which is the dimension that will hit two studs, and their attachment screw positions are larger than just the thin edge of a stud. Even if you hit the stud with one of the screws, the other screws won't hit the studs. They need blocking, and to be installed at a bit of an angle. Open up the shower from the other side and install that blocking. Repairing drywall is a heck of a lot easier than repairing a just finished shower wall.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 12:34AM
enduring

What do people think of the safety of those special fasteners that flare out behind the wall, supposedly allowing the bars to be installed in a safe and strong manner? But they do require a larger hole to be drilled and maybe their own grab bar product as well.

Maybe the blocks are behind the wall. I wish you luck on this issue. Hollysprings suggestion to go from the other side of the wall is a very good solution.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 8:15AM
mongoct

A grab bar can be easily added afterwards.

If you know the location of the studs or blocking, drill your holes through the grout/tile, load the holes with sealant, then install the grab bars. Clean up any caulk squeeze out.

The only hollow wall anchors that I've relied on for the past several years are WingIt anchors.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
Hot Water Heater Size Based on Shower Fixtures
Hi, I don't post a lot, but I am eternally grateful...
Vanessafox
Cultured Marble vs onyx collection vs solid surface shower pan
1st off, I am a long time lurker in these forums and...
dmsohio
What was hidden under my old bathroom floor!
When the contractor pulled up the tile on my old bathroom...
dancingcook
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™