Broan downdraft with external Fantech duct fan?

ajw_in_vaJuly 15, 2013

I'm renovating a kitchen and adding a downdraft hood to a gas cooktop. It seems reasonable that I could purchase the Broan 283603 without a blower, then purchase a Fantech FG8 duct fan to install inline in my crawl space. Seems that would be fairly quiet (instead of having the blower in the cabinet below the cooktop). Also, much lower price than buying one of the Broan external blowers. I'm making some assumptions that the Fantech could be wired into the Broan controls fairly easily. Anyone see any issues with that approach?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaseki

Ignoring the relative deficiencies of down-draft hoods, control compatibility is a "maybe." If Broan used a triac type control and the Fantech uses a straight-forward induction motor, and the Fantech is approximately the same power draw as the Broan fan, then they should be compatible. Other types of controls might also be compatible.

You may not want to experiment without first contacting Fantech to determine the FG8's compatibility with different control devices, and technical support at Broan to find out what type and rating of control is used with their hood.

kas

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 9:32AM
cookncarpenter

Agree with kas, it's the control compatibility that's key. For example, when purchasing my Prizer hood, I had asked if it could mate with an Abbaka remote blower. The answer was no, since Prizer uses three speed controls, and the Abbaka blower motor is variable speed.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 9:44AM
live_wire_oak

Not a good bet. From either the compatibility standpoint, OR the functionality of a strong fan sucking on a gas flame. If you've got to have downdraft (there ARE other options) then induction would be the better cooking source as at least it doesn't have a flame to be pulled to the side or pulled out.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
cooktop
Hi, I finally narrowed down to 3 different 30 inch...
wmc123
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Over & Under refrigerator advice/options
I am remodeling my kitchen and planning to use separate...
uscpsycho
Install Question for Subzero Undercounter UC24 BG/S Beverage Center
We're looking to install a Subzero UC24 BG/S Undercounter...
pbx2
NY - Long Island Kitcken Appliance (Berta/Electrolux/etc...)
Hi All... I've been lucking for the past 6 months while...
nyli2014
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™