Anybody use Koma trim boards?

kandkwiJune 27, 2008

Has anybody used Koma trim boards? If so, did you leave them white or did you paint them. If painted, what prep work was needed and how is the paint holding up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
niff

We used Azek trimboards which is a similar product. Nice product to work with. The manufacturers instructions don't require painting, but I believe if you truly want a nice looking final product -- even if keeping the white color -- you should paint.

We used SW Duration (water based) vinyl safe formula for painting. Takes a good 2-3 full coats to get the full color. (I'm sure white would require less). I found it easiest to roll on first coat, then used a brush for subsequent coats.

We would give a light sanding before painting (mostly to knock off the dirt), then wash with a damp rag. One thing to keep in mind is that Azek can take 20-30 days to fully cure. We did a finger nail scratch the day after painting and paniced b/c the paint came off.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 11:21AM
kandkwi

Thanks for the reply niff. I just hate the thought of having to paint all the trim. Did you paint them before they were put up or after?

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 9:10PM
niff

We did both. If possible, I'd put a coat on prior to installation, and then finish up after the boards were hung. We installed using stainless screws, so either way, I found I had to get a least two coats to conver screw filler adequately.

Either way, if painted the stuff look realllly nice. If not painted, the edges are pretty filthy.

Good luck!

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
Windows question
How is this look achieved? Are these casement windows? What...
ILoveRed
Frank Betz Chapman from Start to Finish
Following in the footsteps of 'jnjmom,' our family...
trulygrateful
Over thinking or detailed
We have not even poured the slab yet, and I find myself...
ourgeorgiahouse
Have a personal build blog? Link it here!
I have LOVED looking through all the blogs that have...
sweet.reverie
Floorplan Feedback-I think we're getting close!
This is the upstairs. The office in the lower corner...
edwardshome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™