Problem with latest version of Firefox (10.0.2)

kudzu9February 20, 2012

I just upgraded my Firefox browser to the latest version. It seems to be somewhat faster, and I've gotten used to the changes from my previous version. However, I do have one problem. I often have a lot of pages open in my browser. When I want to open an additional page, I sometimes like to open it in a new window, rather than a new tab. When I do this in Firefox 10, the web address is blank. If I try to bookmark it, it will bookmark properly. If I click on a hot link to go to another page, the new page will display an address, AND when I click back to the previous page, the web address that had been initially blank is then displayed. This problem doesn't occur when I open something in a new tab...only in a new window. The reason I like to have the web address displayed is that I often copy it so I can insert it into an email. I know I could avoid this if I always opened things just in new tabs, but that's not how I do my browsing.

I've looked at the browser settings, and there doesn't seem to be anything that would affect this. Has anyone else had this minor problem? And, more importantly, does anyone have a fix? I am thinking this is just a bug in the new browser, but haven't been able to find anything yet by doing a Google search.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

Curious.. I dont use firefox daily but you open the new window .. How ?

Shift + link ? (pops link in new window)
Ctrl + N ? (pops new window of existing page)

Look at task manager, processes for firefox memory usage when it happens & total memory use on botton of task manager.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 8:01PM
kudzu9

To open a new window, I right-click on either a bookmark or a link and that gives me several choices (Open Link in New Tab, Open Link in New Window, etc.). If I choose New Tab, it goes to the web page and shows the address; if I choose New Window, it goes to the web page, but doesn't show the address...it just shows a little, blank rectangle, and the grayed-out words "Go to a web site." Here is what it looks like:

This picture is what I got after opening a new window for the GardenWeb Computer Help Forum. However, the behavior is similar regardless of whether I am on GardenWeb or not.

Finally, since I first posted, I have discovered that, if I click on this little rectangle in the address bar of the new page, the browser stays on the page and the address then appears. Interestingly, although all of my Bookmarks transferred in the update, and work fine, many of them lost the unique little icon that often precedes the name and also just display the little rectangle.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 8:51PM
abreeze

I've held steady to version 10.0 and keep refusing further updates right now. I, occasionally get the "Go to a Website" initially, but the address appears when the site loads.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 4:11PM
jane__ny

I lost 'Spell Check' and can't get it back. I didn't want to return to the earlier version for security reasons. Very annoying dealing with all these updates and upgrades.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 12:35AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Jane for the spell check problem go into the firefox settings and select your language, for some reason the new versions keep losing that information and if no language is set it will not spell check.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 2:54AM
More Discussions
switching mouse button
I'm using the mouse with my left hand and can't get...
Snomam
Only free amti-malware? I was told the purchased stuff NG.
I looked for advice a few days back on purchased maintenance/anti-malware...
jerry_nj
Help with color on my images
I take pictures and on my camera they are a good color...
berk
MacBook--Image Frozen on Screen
Anyone know what this means? (or how to rotate the...
setting defaults in Win8.1??
I was attempting to email a photo and it get this message...
carolssis
Sponsored Products
Eastwood Leather Ottoman - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
Wall Retro Outdoor Down Light
Lightology
Oversized Planter
$450.00 | Horchow
HyLoft 28.5 in. Tire Loft - 01012
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Luceplan | Fortebraccio Floor Lamp
$473.00 | YLighting