I need help with taping plaster to drywall & prep to paint.
Also posted in the Remodeling forum
Hi, I need information on how to tape seams between new dry wall, old unpainted plaster, & painted plaster surfaces in my bathroom remodel. I have a hole to repair too where the old vent stack went out through the ceiling. In the pictures you will see where I peeled off old latex over very old paint from the 40's or so. I wanted to clean up where the taping joints will be. I have not sanded yet but plan to do so.
In reading the other posts on this topic I think it is recommended that I sand the painted ragged edges to smooth, and all over the painted surface to rough it up. Next, wash all painted and plastered surfaces with TSP and rinse well.
1) do I prime with Gardz, before taping?
2) do I prime the new dry wall too before taping?
3) Do I prime the whole ceiling before I skim coat (if I do this)?
4) How do I handle that hole in the ceiling? (I was going to use scrapes of drywall and mesh to cover, then mud it in place.
5) I bought the low dust blue lid joint compound, will that work for taping corners and ceiling junctions?
Any help would be great!