ceiling height for 3 level home

lmb4jcJune 17, 2014

We are building a custom home with 9' ceilings on the first floor. will the exterior look okay if we do 9' on the 2nd floor? Architect says it will look "top heavy" and recommends 8' on second, but that is too low for us. Don't really want 10' on main floor as costs for windows, doors, cabinets and trim goes up. We are having a finished 3rd level so adding volume ceilings to just the master BR/BA is not an option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Your architect is correct about the proportions. Especially if this is one of those wide and deep and already roof top heavy plans like so many of the mills turn out these days. 8' is more than tall enough for rooms where you spend the majority of time in them with your eyes closed asleep. Put the height and space into the public rooms where you live the majority of your life. That's not the bedrooms. Or bathrooms.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 9:53AM
renovator8

The proof will be in the elevation drawing. Until one is drawn the architect cannot know that it will appear "top heavy" especially if there will be a 3rd floor above it. The architect should be able to design a well proportioned house with all ceiling heights at 9 ft.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 10:11AM
chispa

We have a mix of 9 and 8 ft ceilings upstairs (we didn't build the house) and I much prefer the rooms with 9 ft.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 11:46AM
nini804

Our previous home had 9' ceilings up and down...and looked perfectly fine. It was a colonial style 2 story. I think window sizes could be adjusted if "top-heavy" is a concern...but I can't imagine that it would be. Every home in our previous neighborhood (production builder) had 9' ceilings up and down...none of the many house facades looked at all strange.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 2:05PM
palimpsest

The older row houses that have 14, 12, 10, 8 foot ceilings or 12, 10, 9, 8 foot ceilings on ascending floors look more graceful than the new construction 9,9,9,9 or 10,9,9,9 houses in the same neighborhood. It's a subtle difference, and maybe most people don't notice it, but I think it makes a difference.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 2:27PM
neroselover

We have 9' in the basement, 10' on the main floor, and 8' on the 2nd floor, which is all bedrooms and bathrooms.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Powder room layout, what do you think?
We are in the back-and-forth with the architect, and...
houserookie
building a simple modern farm house on a budget
I am planning to build a simple modern looking farmhouse...
usalli
homeowner's association
totally OT, but... would you, did you, or will you be...
energy_rater_la
New Home Build - please take a look
Hi all! My husband and I have been working with an...
prepmom
Thinking about driveways
One of the few things my husband requests in our new...
mrspete
Sponsored Products
Livex Park Ridge 636 Flush Mount - Brushed Nickel - 6363-91
$109.90 | Hayneedle
Stonegate Designs | Classique 20 Inch Oval Pendant Light
$590.52 | YLighting
Cerchi Chrome Six-Light Chandelier with Etched Opal Glass
$720.00 | Bellacor
MLCAN60LED50-BorW MaxLite LED Ceiling Light, 61 Watts
EnvironmentalLights.com
Minka Lavery Salon Grand Traditional Chandelier
1800Lighting