best bathroom vent fans?

purrusJuly 14, 2009

Hi all,

We are buying a house built in 1965 that has 2.5 baths, none of which include a vent fan. What's the best model for us to buy, based on your experiences? Budget is a concern, but we don't want to buy junk. Also the vent fan does not need to have a light attached.

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roobear

Purrus, we're still in the middle of remodeling one of our baths in our 1966 home and decided to install a Nutone recessed light and fan. We didn't have a vent previously at all, the cost was around 90.00.

It works great in a smaller bath, is quiet, not hard to install (with all the venting etc. through the attic/ roof took about 2 or 3 hours DIY), and my favorite part it doesn't look like a bathroom fan. Our ceilings are only 8ft, so we didn't want a bulky fan and light hanging down. We added a couple of regular recessed lights as well and you can't even tell a difference.

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 5:15PM
tzmaryg

Roobear, what model Nutone did you get? I need a replacement and my criteria seem to be like yours. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 1:22AM
roobear

I think it was model 744NT, they sell them at Lowes/Home Depot.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 11:53AM
sevenecho

The Panasonic fans are nice and quiet. You can research and purchase them here...

http://www.rewci.com/panvenfan.html

I got one from them and the service was good and shipping fast.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 9:30PM
tzmaryg

Thanks Roobear, the 744NT looks great.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 11:09PM
iapq1990

I love our Panasonic. It's so quiet that when our electrician first turned it on after installing it he thought it was broken. It does a good job too. I've purchased a second one to go in a new bathroom.

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 9:33AM
junicb

We also love our Panasonic FV-08VQ3. It is super quiet. The only hard part about installation was going through the 3 layers of brick (and then re-laying the brick that we accidentally knocked out...).

We bought it online through FaucetDepot.com - I think it was about $90 (I used a coupon I found online and it qualified for free shipping).

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic FV-08VQ3

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 5:26PM
kevin1727

I bought 4 Panasonics. Love them. Quiet (if you get the ones rated for lowest sones) and they move a lot of air.
Best price and service I found was at wamhomecenter.

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 6:23PM
jkom51

We started with Nutones in our 1989/90 whole house remodel. I would hope they have improved their quality as both fans got progressively noisier over the years, to the point where the larger fan in the master bathroom could be heard on the ground floor.

In 2003 we dumped both Nutones for the Panasonics. So far so good, no increase in noise. Contractor who did the install was impressed with the build quality on both (one was the 70 cfm size, the other is the big WhisperWarm).

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 2:23PM
sombreuil_mongrel

I bought an inexpensive Nutone basically for the very low-profile _metal_ grille. I hate yuckky plastic grills that stick down 1/2 inch or more, and eventually yellow.
Casey

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 6:36PM
kimkitchy

I have a different perspective. In our 96 year old house the bathroom downstairs is immediately off the kitchen; upstairs it is just off a sitting room. I WANT some fan noise, if you know what I mean (LOL)! I think ours are Broan and they do make noise - and they do the job too. :-) -Kim

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 3:18PM
mongoct

Depite whatever sone ratings that manufacturers claim, the quiestest I've come across are the Panasonic Whisper series and Fantech's fans.

I did the same as kimkitchy, I installed a noisy one in our downstairs half-bath for the same reasons. Sounds like a jet taking off when you're in there, but hey, it is what it is.

john604, spam, spam, spam.

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 11:10AM
mongoct

Based on my experience with the links that John604 referenced, I wouldn't buy from any of them.

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 11:41AM
just_julie

way to mess up the board, dude!

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Which latricrete products for full shower build?
I'm a bit confused about all the various Latricrete...
cataan
Sponsored Products
Kovacs Tubes Modern Contempo Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting
Revive Anthracite Vertical Designer Radiator Heater 63 x 18.5 & Valves
Hudson Reed
Botanical Shower Curtain
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Virtu Marsala 48-inch Single Sink Bathroom Vanity Set
Overstock.com
Belle Meade Rubbed Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture
$230.00 | Bellacor