design center tips

DippleJune 29, 2013

We just signed a contract for a new build (4 bedroom -2 story) in sugar land, TX and have our design center appointment coming up. would love to have inputs from others (kinda your "wish I had done that list") regarding the must-dos at the design center appointment (things which are costlier to replace/add later).Here are some things we are considering:

Front and rear exterior hose bibs
Front and rear exterior outlets
Gas hookup in backyard for BBQ
granite countertops for kitchen
stainguard carpets in all bedrooms
Electrical outlets in eaves for christmas lights
Pre-wire for surround sound
Water softener loop
Recessed lighting in living room and kitchen
Rocker style light switches

Any other recos would be greatly appreciated.thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jc_ufl

If you are a AV junkie, then pre-wiring for video distribution, speakers, home security, home automation is a huge cost savings during construction versus after.

Address electrical and plumbing for backyard and landscaping.

Have a master plan drawn up for all of your "wants" so you can refer to it later when you decide to add those wants.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 11:53AM
kirkhall

This post relates to a post that hit the upper limit of posts... It has LOTS of useful advice what for to do/not do.

Here is a link that might be useful: wish I had done

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 6:41PM
baylorbear

If your builder will let you, I highly recommend going to the design center to browse before your appointment. We went one day just to look around and to see what selections we liked, and then went back another day for our appointment. It helped that we had already seen the selections, but we still took the whole three hour appt. to finalize everything!

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 4:47PM
KMBC

Design Centers usually handle/display jsut about every item that can be chosen by the buyer... flooring (wood, tile, laminate, vinyl, carpet, etc.) in varyining levels of upgrades; Kitchen cabinets, countertops, backsplashes, bathroom tiles, sikinks, faucetry, lighting fixtures, appliances, etc. So for many items, you need to first decide what level of upgrade if any you want and then you need to make a choice from those particular options. You can play around with all your choices and put everything together so you can see what the finished product should look like and you can coordinate the different items across the board. In my case, the A/V, home security system, surround sound was a separate appointment with the vendor that handles that part of the build/installation.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 3:48PM
FmrQuahog

Not for nothing, but front and rear hose bibs and front and rear electrical receptacles should be included in the base price. These are the barest of minimums in terms of specs, and should not be considered upgrades or "design center" options.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
Make Ready Checklist
Hi folks! Sorry I've been incredibly absent from the...
carsonheim
homeowner's association
totally OT, but... would you, did you, or will you be...
energy_rater_la
May not build - what is fair to builder?
We are still in the planning stages of a new home build....
buildinse
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Colors for my new home...
Reposting - still trying to figure out how this site...
bellachaboni
Sponsored Products
Grace Crystal Chrome One Light 25-in Table Lamp
$220.00 | Bellacor
Jenny George Designs 200 Thread Count Cotton Blend Brights Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Glistening Ridge Rug 12' x 15' - SOFT BEIGE
$5,499.00 | Horchow
52" Matthews Irene 3-Blade Walnut - Nickel Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Authentic Models Old 4.5-Inch Diameter Globe Bookends - GL009F
$115.00 | Hayneedle