Notching granite countertops

KelliCJuly 4, 2013

I recently purchased my first home and wanted to replace the existing countertops. In the master bath the countertop is notched around the door molding and slathered in caulking (attached picture). I am installing these: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/37-inch-w-x-22-inch-d-walnut-cultured-granite-vanity-top-with-wave-bowl/813936. How do I cut this out around the same molding? Or should I cut the molding to the height of the counter and push the counter into the hole?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
musicteacher

I would notch the wood not the countertop. Wood molding is easy to replace and to work with. I don't think regular tools would work on the counter either.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 3:57PM
mongoct

I've not worked with "cultured granite" before, so I don't know if it's more stone of more resin. ie, do you cut it with a diamond blade or with carbide. And does it cut cleanly, or if you move slowly will you get a bit of melt?

Regardless, I'd pull the side casing on the door, install the vanity, then scribe a cutout on the casing to the edge of the countertop.

So what musicteacher wrote. Notch the wood, not the countertop.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 5:58PM
williamsem

Ok, I know you are purchasing a standard size top. But just in case, have you already measured? It may fit fine. Maybe the current one is 24 in deep. I've seen stranger things in my own home, measuring is free :-)

I'd also notch the wood for my own sanity.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Experience with Enduroshield
Anybody have specific experience or feedback on the...
gardnr
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Vanities on opposite walls -- how much width?
Hey all. We are trying to design a long and narrow...
jenmendel23
Marble bathroom question?
I am a lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from...
sokool1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™