Frameless glass shower with U channel hidden between tiles?

kaysdJuly 11, 2012

We are doing a 59" wide x 8' tall frameless glass enclosure for a steam shower. There will be a door between 2 fixed panels, with a tilt out piece above the door to vent. I have been reading the threads that discuss clips versus channels, and I am wondering whether anyone has tried to "bury" the channel in between 2 tiles rather than mounting the channel on top of the tiles.

Our shower alcove is about 42" deep. I was thinking we could have the tile setter install the tile 40" out from the back wall, then affix the U channel to the wall right next to the tile, then butt a 1" tile trim piece up to the other side of the channel, so that very little, if any, of the channel is visible on either side. I would like to know if this technique works before I suggest it to the GC.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phiwwy

Hmmm, that's a good idea, one I may copy when we get to that stage in a month or so. What has your tile guy said? I would wondering about water penetrating.

What are you doing around the entrance to your shower? Are you doing clips on the vertical edges or u-channel? Also, are you going to tile the vertical edges (the edges that come down and meet the curb) or the same material as your curb/threshold?

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 5:09PM
kaysd

I have not met the tile guy yet, as we will not be ready for tile for at least 7 weeks. I am just trying to get input before I describe this idea to our GC.

I am not sure yet whether we are doing a slab or tile threshold. I plan on all vertical surfaces being tiled, although I guess I could frame the entire opening with slab remnants if there is a benefit to the added cost. We are going for a sleek, modern look, and I think a slab frame might look more traditional.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 5:36PM
davidro1

tempered glass may break, too.

Use any method you want, but make it easy to replace the glass.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 9:18AM
kaysd

Would the method I am suggesting make it difficult to replace the glass?

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 9:35AM
kashmi

There was a discussion about this in earlier -- I finally found the thread. Scroll down to where Chays starts posting. There you'll find some discussion of the "embedding" options + pictures of what Chays did. A truly beautiful bathroom. While it's not a steam shower, I don't see why there would be any problems.

When our glass walls were being installed (with clips + silicone), I asked about the embedding option. The only issue the installer said he might have would be identifying leaks when they occurred. But he did not see that as a big issue.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 11:47PM
srjohnt

Our shower glass wall is inset into the tile without any clips or frames. the installers cut a channel into the finished tile, secure it with a special cement, and caulk the joint on each side to match the tile grout. Works and looks great!

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 8:09AM
millworkman

No reason it cannot be done, it just requires prior planning and having your shower guy and glass guy on the same before the shower is even started.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Please can you help with bath vanity design issue?
My original bath layout has changed somewhat, due to...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™