Shower tile - matte or shiny?

hoopysmomJuly 5, 2011

What was your choice and why? We are remodeling a master bath (walk-in shower) and guest bath (tile surround for tub) and the choices are overwhelming. I don't have a strong preference for either. But was curious if it was the look (style) of the tile or the thought of cleaning that swayed your choice? The gal at the tile store said keeping a matte tile clean was easier than keeping shiny tile clean. Thoughts??

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

The only reason for choosing one over the other should be aesthetics. Both will clean up just as easily.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 10:19PM
OrchidOCD

Traction. The tile on the shower floor should ideally provide some traction when wet, for safety, unless you plan to use a shower mat of some type. I actually took a spray bottle of water to the tile shop to test 'slipperiness when wet' properties of the tiles I was considering for my shower. Hand's down, the mattes provided better traction (less slippery) when wet.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 10:56PM
terriks

I think that the matte finish will be less likely to show water spots than the shiny tile.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 11:29PM
brickton

We went with matte on the floor and shiny on the walls. Originally we didn't want shiny, but after putting a sample in the space we realized having the shiny walls reflect the light made the shower feel brighter.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 9:37AM
busybee3

the matte won't show water spots as easily but it never has that sparkly clean look... shiny/polished tile looks SO nice when it IS clean i think... (same difference as satin finishes and polished on faucets...) wiping down the shiny tile with a towel easily keeps it 'sparkly'.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 11:07AM
hoopysmom

Thanks for the responses!

My next question should be how long did it take you to find the "right" tile! There are so many choices!

I see from the responses that it is really a personal choice, no right or wrong answer with the exception of making sure there is enough traction on the shower floor. So its back to the tile shop for the 3rd time....oy!

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 12:24PM
mrsemmapeel

We're also trying to find the right tile for our shower, since we're currently redoing the master bath and will later need to tile the shower in the guest room. For some reason tile is the one thing I can't seem to decide!

We may split the difference and go with shiny in the guest room, which is more traditional/white, and go with a matte natural stone in the master, since it's more of a rustic spa feel. Maybe you can have it both ways and do the same? :)

Good luck!

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 2:02PM
cangelmd

Ha! We did shiny on the shower floor and matte on the walls! But our shiny tile is 2X2 mosaic so the grout lines provide traction. I got a sample sheet and got it wet, then assesed slipperiness. Bottom line is that with the grout lines it didn't matter so much.
Now the bathroom floor is done in the matte tile of the shower walls to allow more traction when wet.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
robe hook in frameless shower glass?
Does anyone have experience with robe hooks in frameless...
nellie08
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Sponsored Products
Carlisle 9-pc. Oval Outdoor Dining Set in Black Finish, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Westbrass 5-Port In Wall 3-Way Shower Diverter Valve with Cross Handle Victorian
Overstock.com
Sample Shangri-La Green Quartz Random Brick Glass and Stone Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Antique Brass Whitehaus 614.818SH Blairhaus Bathroom Shower Head & Valve
$349.00 | Blue Bath
Remer by Nameeks 310 Shower Slidebar - REMER 310
$49.98 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting Address Light Number Tile, No. 7 P5970-007
$27.63 | Home Depot
Round Sleek Rain Shower Faucet Set
TheBathOutlet
Polished Chrome One-Light 26-Inch High Table Lamp