Basement construction costs

mfowler423June 18, 2012

I am wondering if people could share their construction costs associated witn an unfinished basement. I know this will vary but I am just curious before getting into the building process of how much adding a basement will run. Again I know this cost will vary but need to have something in mind. Our basment area will be about 1100 square feet unfinished - walkout

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbrad_gw

Around here (Upstate SC) we were told to estimate around $50/sq ft for our planned unfinished walk-out.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:10PM
auroraborelis

We are doing a partial basement in Califoria where it isn't typical. The price we were given was to put the 20x20 space in the basement it would increase our cost by $11,000, whereas putting it above grade would be $26,000.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:59PM
bdpeck-charlotte

Upstate SC here too. Basement is walkout around 1,800 sq ft, we spent about $20,000 more on the poured walls and framing. Probably $7,000 on windows and doors. And a couple hundred dollars on insulating the ceiling.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 2:11PM
mgmsrk

We are buying this time but we just got the appraisal back, the appraiser included building costs to replace based on 3 local contractors prices. Ours was quoted at about $50 sq ft.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 4:17PM
david_cary

NC - was more like $25 a sqft.

But, you also have to say what is the comparison. If the lot "wants" a walkout and you do a tall crawl instead, the "cost" will be much less.

I think our total basement costs were less than $50k for 2000 sqft with poured 10 ft ceilings and open web floor trusses for ductwork. Now that didn't count the siding on the back wall or the extra brick on the sides. But tall crawl would have had those costs anyway.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Well Water
For those of you with well water only. What systems...
Renee0829
Leaking roof due to antique bricks?
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
Beam in ceiling to divide kitchen and breakfast???
Yes. I know this kitchen breakfast room layout is odd....
Bridget Helm
Master Bath revisions
Which revision do you like better? There can only be...
edwardshome
garrell house plans (amicalola & etc)
We should all start a support group for Garrell house...
SilverSpurTrust
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™