Has anyone ever purchased a dryer on Craigslist?

jerseygirl135June 3, 2014

Hi everyone,
2 years ago, I bought a washer that has since been discontinued. I never bought the matching gas dryer because the current one is still going strong. I am not the original purchaser of the dryer and so I don't know how old the current one is. Anyway, the matching dryer has also been discontinued and I recently found it on craigslist. The seller says that it is brand new in box and never used (was a gift).

What's the best way to see if the dryer is in fact brand new and not refurbished? Should I look for anything else when inspecting the dryer?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schicksal

If it still has the energy guide rating and all the other random paperwork and cards that come with a dryer included you're pretty guaranteed that it's new in box. It should also be very clean, but that would be obvious.

I've bought and sold appliances on Craigslist before without any problems FWIW, and friends who do the same haven't had issues either.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:41AM
jerseygirl135

Thanks schicksal!

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 9:25AM
dadoes

Appliance *serial numbers* are typically coded for the manufacture date (year and month or week). Model numbers are coded for year of release to the sale market, which doesn't necessarily reflect the manufacturing date.

Several online sites outline the coding syntax for various manufacturers. The serial coding pattern usually repeats on a rolling cycle ... every 12 years or 20 years, etc. ... so some other info such as the accompanying model number and/or a visual of the machine may be needed for accuracy.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 9:30AM
hvtech42

It should be in the original factory peel-off wrapping.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 12:00PM
More Discussions
36" Blue star range- tight on space and can't decide on one electric o
Doing a kitchen renovation and have space for a 36"...
nismo99
My GC thinks I need 1000 cfm and I think he's crazy
So I actually don't think he's crazy and he's right...
crl_
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
steam damage to cabinets from steam oven or warming drawer?
When we had a kitchenaid dishwasher, the hot moist...
houztongirl
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™