precast wall finishing

guitarman502June 30, 2014

Ok, so we did a precast wall basement and the original plan was to stack stone the walls but budget dictated that it be done at a later date.

Has anyone "finished" their precast walls other than stone cover-up? I've considered acid staining the concrete but that does not cover the silicon seems.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

furring strips and sheet rock?

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 10:23AM
guitarman502

I mean on the outside sorry. I'm going to sheet rock the inside.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 2:47PM
LOTO

I finished a bunch of concrete retaining walls with Master Wall Finish Coat texture. You may need to go over the silicone seams with some Master Wall Base Coat and a 4" strip of fiberglass mesh imbedded in the base coat but if your precast walls are clean and fairly smooth the "Coarse" texture should cover the wall nicely.
The finish is really very easy to do yourself and there are a bunch of videos on youtube showing how to apply.
If you were applying this to the exterior of a home then I wouldn't recommend a DIY job but applying to concrete is a piece of cake and the learning curve is very short and DIY application saves a bunch of money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Wall

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 7:29PM
dekeoboe

Our whole house is precast concrete. We just had it painted with elastomeric paint. The first coat had some texture to it, the second did not.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 8:06PM
guitarman502

I'll look into both of those. The texture is course and doesn't look "terrible" leaving it the standard grey, but the seams are a beige color and would like it all one color and something different to give it a more finished look. Do you all have pictures by chance?

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 9:06AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Oh...

Not precast but our foundation wall in the back wasn't attractive, so I had a mason come who knocked all the nubs off and then parged the wall with dyed concrete for an interesting effect.

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 10:30AM
guitarman502

That looks really good. I thought about using an acid stain on the concrete but the problem with that is the silicone seams.

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
Raised basement
For a level lot, a basement is usually underground....
net42k
homeowner's association
totally OT, but... would you, did you, or will you be...
energy_rater_la
Finally under way but concerned...
So our home is finally being started and moving along,...
njbuilding143
New Build Floorplan, timberframe house, input appreciated
So I’m yet another person looking for input on a floorplan....
am_e
New Home Build - please take a look
Hi all! My husband and I have been working with an...
prepmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™