Problem with a stuck metal bathtub plug?

aadambasJuly 16, 2013

The bathtub at my mother's house is stuck down.

Unfortunately it's not a standard rubber plug but one of those very nice looking but overly complicated metal plugs that you screw into the drain and then push down on it to seal/unseal it.

The reason i think it is stuck down is that the rubber seal for the plug that fits around the screw down part needed replacing and I don't think my mother replaced it with the right type of rubber o ring seal.

So it's stuck down and despite pushing it down it won't release and drain the water away. It's chrome plated so I know if I try to unscrew using some grips it will scratch and ruin the finish (and I've already tried to unscrew it by hand but I just can't get enough of a grip).

Any help would be appreciated!

This post was edited by aadambas on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 18:54

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

That happened to us with a new Click Clack drain in a new sink. It would click to close, but not clack to open, and it was almost impossible to unscrew it. Bail out the tub get the drain top dry. See if one of those rubber grip thingies that opens stuck jar lids (that look like a mouse pad) can help to give you a surer grip to unscrew it, w/o scratching.

You might try the same question at a forum that specializes in plumbing. Those plumbers may have some secrets to share, because you are no doubt NOT the first person to have this happen.

Good luck!

-Babka

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
What is the strongest, best bathroom fan on the market?
We've had mildew in our old bathroom, despite having...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Should I be concerned about the lippage on my new tile job?
At first glance my porcelain tile job in my bathroom...
susanelewis
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™