cracked bottom on vanity, ok to install?

ikea_gwJuly 31, 2013

After waiting a month and half for the vanity to be delivered, we finally received it last week. When my contractor came to install it though he found a crack on the bottom of the integrated porcelain top/sink. The crack is where the sink turns into the top, 1/4 inch deep, 2.5 inches long. The top's thickness is 3/4 inch and size is 40x19 inches.

Our contractor thinks it is ok structural wise as the rest of the top is perfect. I am currently caught between the online retailer and the manufacturer taking their time to let me know what will happen. Will it be a bad idea to put the vanity top in? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

Don't install it. Cracks never get better over time. We are currently going thru a 4 month delay for light fixtures, only to have them deliver the wrong ones then a defective one. We're about ready to hang flashlights from the ceiling! Frustration, yes, but YOU are the one who will have to deal with the crack down the road IF and when there is a problem. Removing it then will be a bigger problem than waiting for a new one now. The Mfgr/supplier should ship you a non-defective vanity top quickly at their expense.

-Babka

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 4:08PM
mongoct

Agree.

You don't know how or why it cracked. If it it a stress-related crack from the manufacturing process, the crack could propagate over time.

I'd send it back.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 6:37PM
ikea_gw

The manufacture insists the crack is cosmetic but won't warrant the top for more than 3 years which is their standard warranty. Waiting to see if the retailer will be able to send us a new top. At this point, I am terribly stressed out and annoyed with the vanity company.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 2:28PM
ikea_gw

Manufacture (Fresca) insisted the crack is cosmetic but our retailer was nice enough to send us a new top at their expense. Unfortunately the new top arrived in 3 pieces via UPS. At this point, we are 36 weeks pregnant and really just need to have it done. We are just having the cracked bottom vanity top put in and will hope for the best. If the top falls apart, we will likely replace it with a custom manmade stone top like Corian. This has been such a frustrating experience.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 10:36AM
mattpga

I'm in the exact same situation - Fresca counter top, pregnant wife (39 weeks!)

How did you install go and is the counter-top still ok?

I'm considering installing it tonight because the baby is due any day now.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
tile drywall corner transition
I'm trying to figure out how to complete the corner...
mattt19
Lighted Tub/Shower Niche
Anyone ever wire a light into your shower niche? I...
monicakm_gw
Which latricrete products for full shower build?
I'm a bit confused about all the various Latricrete...
cataan
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™