Are You Happy w/ Your Travertine Shower?

monicakm_gwJuly 22, 2014

So if you've had your travertine shower a few years and use it daily, are you still happy with the decision to use real stone vs a porcelain tile? My sister in law is about to start a shower remodel and is considering travertine. I LOVE travertine and have it in my entry and on the backsplash in the kitchen. Travertine showers are gorgeous but how are they holding up after a few years and how high maintenance are they? Even sealed, I would be concerned about the pits and fissures and mold.
Monica

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

I wouldn't recommend travertine for a shower, especially when there are so many beautiful grout, mildew, and maintenance free solid surfaces available.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 4:57PM
monicakm_gw

Thanks Trebruchet. I feel the same way but my oh my they're pretty :) I wanted travertine on my bathroom floor (24" tiles) but knew in my heart a porcelain look-a-like was a better option for me. I'm glad chose the porcelain!

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:09AM
Fori is not pleased

I had it on my kids' bathroom floor, counter, and tub surround for a few years. (PO had installed it). It had few showers and no heavy bathroom chemicals (hairspray etc.) but the floor was used a lot and got pretty wet. Kids were potty trained on it, old cat got sick on it, and it got some stern cleaning chemicals on it. I don't know how the surround and counters would hold up to typical bathroom use but the honed floor held up great.

A shower might be pushing it...

And honed travertine feels like silky butter underfoot. Sooooo nice.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:19AM
monicakm_gw

Fori, I have it on my entry floor and LOVE the silky buttery feel. There's nothing like it! Thanks for your input on the shower question.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 2:34AM
bowbat

We had tumbled travertine in our shower (walls and floor) in our last house, and I would not do it again. All those little nooks & crannies are a mildew breeding ground, and very difficult to clean. Looked beautiful, though, I will say that.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 2:11PM
Swentastic

We have travertine in our shower and on the bathroom floor - I would say the honed is probably OK for a shower as long as you use a good sealer (ie silicone enhancer) and use the right chemicals to clean it.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 2:53PM
andee_gw

I've had a honed travertine shower for nearly 10 years with no problems. All the holes are filled, so no issues there. It is beautiful. The only problem is in a couple of places the grout has become discolored and I can't get it back to the original. But that is grout and not tile.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:43PM
busybee3

unfortunately, we just tore out a whole travertine bathroom of a house we are moving into... it was only ~ 4yrs old, but the tile had some significant cracks on both the bathroom floors and shower walls and the shower grout wasn't in good shape... i think the issue was probably more of an issue with installation(even tho it was 'professionally' laid) than the product, but that is my only experience with travertine in a bathroom and i don't know if i would ever choose to use it because of this experience...

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 1:22PM
bathroomdesignboy

Its like the black car in the showroom. Start driving it and the maintenance starts! I would definitely recommend something more maintenance free as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy maintenance showers you can install yourself!

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:17AM
catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14

Have had a tumbled travertine shower and floors for 5 years now and no problems. In fact, I love them. I've found this material actually less of a hassle to maintain than the porcelain that was replaced and far more pleasing aesthetically. Good installation and sealer are no doubt important.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Does this look like fake or real marble to you ?
Would a whole floor of this material look like real...
lillo
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
Tere-stone anyone?
Does anyone have any experience with Tere-stone as...
coffeehaus
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Sponsored Products
Resort Contour Bath Rug
$39.95 | FRONTGATE
Bodrum Shower Curtain - BLUE (72X72)
$95.00 | Horchow
Eago Ultra Low Flush Toilet - TB326
$521.99 | Hayneedle
Perry Ellis Asian Lilly Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
58" x 30" Sloan Corner Shower Enclosure With Arched Front
Signature Hardware