Wallpaper behind pedestal sink

renov8rJuly 31, 2014

I am papering my powder room and will be installing a pedestal sink. I am now thinking that I should have avoided the wallpaper behind the pedestal sink, because of damage from water and cleaning. I am not prepared to add tile. Is there an invisible sealant that can be put on a small area of the wallpaper around the sink back? Has anyone done a small corian backsplash that they could post a photo of? What are other people's experience with wallpaper behind pedestals?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chispa

Probably too late now for your project, but I was at the Osborne & Little wallpaper showroom a few months ago and was surprised at how many of their wallpapers were rated as washable.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 3:15AM
MizLizzie

Until recently we had wallpaper behind our pedestal sink for 16 years with no damage whatsoever. (We did not, however, have small children in the house.) I always thought the wallpaper (not vinyl treated) would be a problem, but it wasn't. The problem came last month when we pulled the pedestal sink out and realized there was wallpaper behind it with no sizing underneath. Humongous drywall repair ensued.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:44PM
tuesday_2008

I have had a wall-papered backsplash behind above my double vanity for years. It was just a cheapo vinyl coated paper from an outlet store and was easy to wash. Put a small bead of clear silicone between or on top of the edge of the paper where it meets the vanity to protect from water splashes.

Mine is starting to show a little wear and tear but this BR is my next redo project. It has been up at least 15 years.

Edited to say I just noticed you said pedestal...I would still add a thin layer of caulk just along the back of the sink.

This post was edited by tuesday_2008 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 15:03

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™