Pomanders

pink_warm_mama_1November 1, 2013

Thought it might be fun to make orange/clove pomanders with my great grandchildren at Thanksgiving time assuming they'd be ready by Christmas time. Where does one buy orris root these days?

Pink

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

I've never heard of making orange/clove pomanders with orris root. My first thought would be to try a local health food store. I also did some on-line searching... it looks fairly easy to find on-line if you want the powder, but I didn't notice anyone selling the whole root.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 10:02PM
pink_warm_mama_1

Thanks for your reply. Haven't made pomanders in years, but as I remember the orris root is used as the preservative.

Pink

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 10:01AM
roxanna

Major tip for doing this: before inserting the whole cloves in a decorative pattern, first use an awl to poke a tiny starter hole. I found that just inserting the cloves into the orange made for very sore fingers after a while! Love the fragrance!!!

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 2:35PM
sunnyca_gw

Yes, very sore fingers from poking them in. I got it at an herb place years ago but I think I saw it at Whole Foods. It's considered an herb ,I believe. I needed it for something else also but I've forgotten, .potpourri?? maybe!

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 12:22AM
pink_warm_mama_1

Thanks for advising to punch holes first. I had planned that especially for the children. It is the orris root powder I need - sorry I wasn't clear on that point.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 3:09PM
dishcindee

somewhere in my foggy brain, I recall using golf tees to poke those holes....did it with my 4 sons yrs ago : )

dishcindee

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 8:55PM
musicteacher

I make them every year without the orris root. They might be better with, but are pretty fragrant without it!

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 8:21AM
pink_warm_mama_1

musicteacher, where do you find the orris root powder? We're in a brand new area and don't know precisely where to look. Thanks for any help.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Diving Right In
OK. I'm going to try and create a new post in order...
oldalgebra
Mardi Gras Table
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/J-B68ziUqqsKI1jUbGIsF0R-rRjcD4-szAG4k6T8_AM?feat=directlink...
nana2010_gw
Not finding any inexpensive beanie baby duckies and . . .
I expect the nearer to Easter it gets, the higher the...
oldalgebra
Christmas, 2014
Our kitchen
swest2_gw
For any of Gang on Facebook.....
I've set up a Holiday Group for us. Its a "closed...
Purplemoon
Sponsored Products
White Cypress 14" Wide Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™