Converting bath tub to shower stall

TerriJMJuly 13, 2012

I'm iconsidering the idea of removing the tub in my elderly parent's master bathroom and having a shower stall installed. This would be for safety reasons mostly. Any suggestions on an inexpensive unit which is easy to install?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

The first consideration is how hard it is to access the drain lines under the floor. If your over a basement or crawlspace it won't be big deal, but if your on a slab it can get very expensive because, while a tub has an 1-1/2" drain, a shower requires a 2" trap & drain line.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 4:13PM
barbcollins

Yes, it can be done. Lowes/HD sell shower pans that are retrofit to replace a tub (drain is on the end).

We did this in our bathroom. I put tile on the walls. I love it.

We also did this with my MIL's house, and DH used matching
fiberglass walls for her. No complaints.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 9:26PM
kmcg

Kohler/Sterling makes a line of shower and tub units that include safety bars on the wall panels. They can be kind of spendy, but they might be worth a look. I found one that was a special order return, and Lowes was selling it really cheap. I didn't even need the ADA bars, but it was such a deal that I bought it for our basement bath. The unit is easy to install, and the walls fit together so neatly that you don't even need caulk. It feels so clean!

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 2:18PM
barbcollins

kmcg - Good point about the safety bars.

If this for an elderly you probably should install grab bars even with a walk in shower. We did that too for my MIL.

Also, be sure to check your local codes about the drain. Some allow 1-1/2" drains as since many of us use low flow showers now it's not a problem.

I have put a rubber flat stopper over mine some times when I feel I need a foot bath. Even after washing may hair etc, it doesn't get close to overflowing.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
design help- white quartz countertops on vanity?
we are building a home & I am struggling with design...
misschris15
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™