Windows Vista Service Pack 2

IeshaFebruary 19, 2013

I was able to restore my computer finally and now internet explorer is acting up and I think its because it wants me to update to internet explorer 8 and I cant because I don't have windows vista service pack 2 which it did before I restored it. But I have tried to do the update which fails and I have tried to go on microsoft download center and it still fails I have also downloaded the tool thats supposed to help it install but nothing is working I want to update my computer to windows 7 when I can afford it but I don't think I will be able to if this package isn't installed because I have tried windows 7 trials which haven't worked someone please help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

Did you download SP2 as a standalone or try updating your computer from the internet?

If you do not have SP2 you can download it from the MS download centre

When you restored the computer did you take it back to the original factory defaults or use an image you had created at some point?

If it is only IE playing up you could consider another browser like Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any of the others available free

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 6:47AM
zep516

Also,

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821) [November 2012]

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=504

Is that the tool you downloaded above?

We also need the exact error message you're getting.

Joe

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 11:21PM
dee_can1

On my vista computer I have SP2 along with IE 9 (not 8), btw.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 8:12AM
llaatt22

I dimly recall something similar when I restored my vista computer prior to giving it away. The updates did not all sequence at once but I just kept trying to install whatever showed up when I called for updates. It took about three weeks in total, with more stuff showing up on weekends and quiet hours. Probably most of needed SP2 is already there in dribs and drabs.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 1:32PM
Iesha

owbist yes I downloaded SP2 as a standalone and I also tried to download it from MS download center but neither worked I get the same error everytime Error 80073712

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 4:13PM
Iesha

Yes zep516 that is the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista that I used and the Error Message is 80073712 thanks

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 4:15PM
Iesha

Yes I took the computer back to factory settings and that is when it uninstalled the newest ie and I also think this is why the trial for windows 7 won't install

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 4:18PM
zep516

OK. You need to focus on getting windows up date working first before anything,

The next thing to try is running System file checker,

To run the System File Checker, complete these steps:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

2. In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.

3. At the command prompt, type Sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 6:01PM
zep516

You need to have Service pack 1 installed first, before service pack 2, so might want to check that. Here's a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Learn-how-to-install-Windows-Vista-Service-Pack-2

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 10:37PM
corrine_mvp

Hi, Lesha.

If you are still having problems after following the instructions in the link zep516 provided, there are Windows Update experts at Sysnative.

Niemiro may not be around much this week but I believe Tom982 will be available. Instructions are in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows Update Forum Posting Instructions

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Someone have a link for free Chrome browser?
I have been having troubles downloading files from...
shaddy101
What's with this new Houzz thing?
Been away a couple days, and came back to this, what...
shaddy101
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
Helping a elderly friend with their computer remotely
She is in her 90's, lives alone and needs help with...
jane__ny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™