Mold where tub meets wall

salbwilJuly 22, 2014

Hi,
Have a 2 year old bath alcove , tiled walls and ceiling, and the calking is molding where the tub meets the walls and up a few inches in the corners. How do I remove this and make sure it doesn't come back ? Husband is really upset as I am the one that insisted that calk be used in these areas.
Thank you,
Salbwil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

Have good ventilation in the tub and use it.

Use a silicon or siliconized latex caulk in the tub instead of a latex caulk.

Less likely, make sure there are no cracks or pinholes in the grout that are allowing water easy access behind the tile.

Check the tub deck along the walls and corners. Make sure it's not holding water against the caulk after you are done showering. Some plastic tubs can be deformed and have a slight slope towards the wall instead of shedding water into the tub. If your deck edge holds water, then after you towel off it might be prudent to towel off that area.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 12:12PM
enduring

I have a cast iron shower pan that doesn't drain properly in the corners, and I make sure that after a shower it is wiped down to prevent standing water.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:38PM
salbwil

We always squeegee after showering , but will now towel down too. Do I need to remove the calk and recalk or can I treat it with something to destroy the mold and thank you !
Salbwil

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:05PM
enduring

Don't know about the caulk.

Toweling down, is often what I only do. I squeegee too sometimes and towel. My new shower is "high maintenance", lol, and takes up so much of my time. DH won't have anything to do with it. "Until winter" when it will be cold and he comes back up out of the basement to take his showers.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
American Standard Vormax Toilet
Does any one have an experience with this toilet? http://www.americanstandard-us.com/vormax/ I...
David
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
bathroom window
I'm getting ready to waterproof my bath/shower alcove...
spielbass
if studs are 16' apart, can i have a 24' medicine cab recessed?
can the builder recess a medicine cabinet wider than...
srg215
Does anyone know where to sell a brand new vanity
looking to sell locally only and tried craigslist this...
matdrew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™