Kitchen aid to thermadore

fatima11June 18, 2013

This forum has helped me decide so many things so here is my latest dilemma.

My builder is providing kitchen aid appliances as standard. Cooktop, mw, oven, dishwasher and fridge.. We want to upgrade to thermadore. For that we have to pay the difference which comes to around 14k.

Is that a wise upgrade?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoanLast

Great question! I just came back from appliance shopping. I have a quote coming on Friday between Kitchen Aid Architectural Series 2 (I think) and Thermador. I love the Thermador induction cooktop. I like the Kitchen Aid dishwasher (quiet) and refrigerator. I need a counter depth refrigerator. I've never even heard of a Thermador refrigerator... I'm here on-line trying to figure this out. The Thermador induction cook top was beautiful, but the Kitchen Aid had a bridge burner. I can only fit a 30 inch. This is for a vacation condo, so space and finishes are important. Everything is so close together. I think it needs to match for the most part. I'm also looking at a 15 inch wine refrigerator at a bar area. Hopefully, we'll get some traction here...

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:44PM
ginny20

Is the cooktop induction? Remember that the KA induction clicks as the magnets cycle on and off. thermador doesn't click. You can get used to the clicking, and it is somewhat drowned out by other kitchen noises including cooking sounds, but it is a consideration. I do like the my bridge burner, but I don't use it often.

Also, if the MW is OTR, it would be a wise upgrade to get a hood and put the MW someplace else.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 10:02PM
Gooster

$14K to upgrade sounds a bit pricey... Thermador is running a promotion whereby if you buy a cooktop and oven, you get a dishwasher, and if you add the fridge, you get a hood (which you did not mention). Which KitchenAid line is being specified? There is quite a difference from one end of the line to the other. For example, Is it a standard depth or built-in fridge? The total package should run you about $16 to $18K MSRP, which makes your upgrade look a bit expensive.

Conventional board wisdom says you should upgrade selectively... like not a microwave. The deal has become quite popular, and I considered it myself.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Bluestar platinum vs Capital Culinarian
We are deciding on kitchen appliances for our upgrade...
malba2366
Can a Whirpool wrs342fiab00 Refrigerator use water filter bypass ?
I have an undersink filter connected to this fridge,...
edge
Finish Detergent
Has anyone tried the new Finish Quantum Max 12X pacs?...
sparky823
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
Hood & Venting for Bluestar Rangetop...Zephyr or Bluestar?
In deciding between the 36" Bluestar cooktop and...
missmeghan702
Sponsored Products
GAX X Walnut Dining Table - 36" Wide - Artless
$6,800.00 | HORNE
Green Snowman Straw Travel Tumbler
$5.99 | zulily
Blue Linen Paige Backless Counter Stool
Cost Plus World Market
17.72" Pineapple Plywood Shade Stylish Modern Pendant Lamp
ParrotUncle
Pressed Glass Pendant - Bowl by Tom Dixon
$370.00 | Lumens