Happy With Shower Dimensions?

ntrainerJuly 25, 2014

We're about to embark on a major redesign of our master suite, and in order to solve a number of problems, we're shrinking our shower. Currently it's a 2-person shower and I don't mind that we'll be reducing it to a 1-person shower but... just want to make sure the dimensions will work. The inside dimensions (as proposed) will be 3' x 4'2", or 36" x 50". There will be a corner ledge for leg shaving, and two niches along the wall furthest from the shower head (for shampoo bottles & soap). To make the room feel more spacious, generally, there will be a clerestory window on that same wall with the niches, up high. In addition, the shower head will be mounted on glass, hiding the plumbing in a 1/2 wall below. Frameless shower. So that's a total of 1-1/2 walls of glass surrounding the shower.

What do you folks think? Will we be happy with this? Or are we going too small?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
piscesgirl

I think you will be perfectly fine. Our master bathroom is extreamly tiny (7' x 7.5') and believe it or not we expanded our shower to ~36" x 45" frameless glass shower (was previously a tiny 32x32 shower enclosure).

We did full glass and a large recessed niche...which really opens up the space. We love it!

I really don't see 36" x 50" being an issue unless you are abnormally tall or big people :-)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0318035216653.html

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 11:42AM
ntrainer

Thanks for sharing the photos of your remodel. It does look beautiful. Good to know you love it so much. Sometimes photos can be deceiving, but it seems like the experience you've had with a shower this size is excellent... That's great news for us.

As for our heights, no giants here. I'm 5'5", the hubby is 6'1".

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 12:19PM
Babka NorCal 9b

We're very pleased with 3' x 4'. 5.5 and 6 feet tall. The hot water warms it up quickly, and there is plenty of room to move around w/o bumping into walls. Put a ceiling light over it to keep it light and bright and enjoy.

-Babka

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 2:07PM
enduring

I have a 3x5' Kohler cast iron shower pan and could have easily went with 3x4' in hind site. My shower is in an alcove with only a glass door front. There is plenty of light through the door and I have a ceiling light in the shower with my exhaust fan. Even if I had gone with 3x4' there would have been plenty of light. Like Babka suggest put a light in the shower. The shower still needs the rail to mount the handheld, and the grab bar under the nook installed.

I have to point out that I did the tile job myself and you can see the lipage I have with those large tiles. If you are DIYing the tile, this may be a problem if you use large tiles. I was able to get them very level and the walls plumb but I could not prevent the lipage :/

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 12:21AM
More Discussions
Kohler Archer Undermount Sink and Vanity Depth
Has anyone used a Kohler Archer undermount sink in...
Jill Wood
Lowe's master bath estimate....seems high?
Due to a 3-year old poor tile job in our stand up shower...
A McK
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™