First Real Post - Please Review/Comment on Floor Plan
I've been lurking and reading lots of posts throughout THS's many forums. My first order of business before jumping to posting in other forums is to get some comments/feedback on our house plan. My wife and I've seen the great ideas/comments this forum generates and even though we can't say we'll agree with everything... all will be considered.
First a little bit of backgrounder:
- Currently just my wife (late 20's) and I (early 30's)
- Planning on having 2 kids starting early after the build
- House style preference is traditional (crown molding, beadboard / wainscotting, white kitchens), mixed in with a country feel (big porches, shaker-style cabinetry), etc.
- We don't like completely closed off areas, but are not fond of wide-open concept spaces either
- Love hosting food and drink parties with friends
- Goal is to build a "forever" house for ourselves and future family that fits as many conveniences as possible to make our lives easier
- We need lots of storage and particularly love built-in shelving/bookcases/storage areas
Other items of note:
- We're building in the Ottawa, Canada area, so we'll have a full-size basement as well (future wet-bar/pool table, future entertainment room, future guest bedroom 2 and future woman-room (crafts room) and man-room (small wood-work shop), etc.
- This is the latest iteration with our drafter/architectural technician
- Build is planned to start in April 2013 (just under a year from now)
Pre-emptive comments on our part:
(feel free to comment on these issues below if you feel strongly about it, but they've usually been designed this way for a reason)
- The sunken living room is purposely in an area closed-off from the kitchen. We've both grown up with a kitchen and eating area that's open to a living room with TV and have seen the noise problems that this creates (conversations in kitchen keep getting louder while TV volume keeps getting raised). When the kids are young enough to require supervision, we're sure there's enough room in the kitchen area by the table and patio door for children activities. Don't forget there's also a laptop on the desk in the kitchen.
- The actual sleeping area of master bedroom is relatively small, but we hardly spend time in our current bedroom. The reading area (with built-in bookshelf) is on the main floor.
- Some of the door swing directions are wrong and have already been corrected.
- Yes, there's a lot of little storage areas on the 2nd floor. From left to right they are: Laundry Hampers and Sorting area (next to chute), Linen closet, and a general storage area (cleaning supplies, central vac hose, etc).
Floor plan items:
- If in doubt of what a certain line represents, it's probably a built-in! ;)
- The X'd out area on the 1st and 2nd floor is a laundry chute.
- Bottom left-most room on 2nd floor is a guest room.
Enough already... here's the plan:
3D Elevation (colors and building materials subject to change)