Mortise bolt/thumb latch on kids' bedroom doors? yay or nay?

threeapplesMay 1, 2012

I "think" we finally decided on our interior door hardware (an unlacquered brass egg and dart knob with matching escutcheon/backplate). We'll do the mortise skeleton key on two rooms only, library and first floor powder room. Anyway, everywhere else will be passage doors or, for bathrooms and, possibly, our children's bedrooms, a mortise bolt. These are very affordable to purchase and install, but my husband is suggesting we shouldn't allow our kids a way to lock their bedroom doors. They are currently toddlers, not sure that's relevant.

And, these mortise bolts/thumb latches, can you somehow deactivate them from the outside in case of emergency?

thanks, everyone!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
athensmomof3

We did thumb bolts on all bedrooms and baths. Our hardware (Omnia knobs) didn't come with the privacy option. The only way to lock the door is through a thumb latch. There is a little plate you can pop off the back to unlock them (I asked the same question!)

I debated whether to do it on the children's bedrooms but didn't want to have to add them later. I figured there may be times where they want to lock their doors (getting dressed with visitors/friends in the house) . . . I think it is reasonable to do either though. We plan on being in this house forever and I know when I visit my mom I often lock my door while getting dressed as there is always a child wanting to wander in and who knows where the rest of the household is!

They have locks on their doors now (just turn latches in the knobs) and they don't usually lock them, unless they are trying to get away from their brothers and lock them out (my youngest will do this occasionally!).

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 12:01AM
threeapples

Thanks, athensmom. Have you ever had to pop off the plate to unlock the door from the outside? Does this require a tool? Does it harm the door or latch?

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:40AM
athensmomof3

All good questions. My builder says he thought there was a tool to do it. I haven't seen one. It looks like there must be something though - it is just a little plate you can get your fingernail under but I wouldn't want to do it without the right tool because I would be afraid I would scratch the lock. I am going to figure that out before I move in and put one on the molding above each child's bedroom door . . .

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
building over an old leach field
Perhaps this is county specific, but I was talking...
divine_serenity_gw
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
New here. Please critique my house plan sketch, thanks
Hello. We are a family of 5 hoping to build a house...
angeliquereagan
Floorplan advice
We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids ages 3 and 10...
Butternut
Protecting hardie from splash up?
Our builder is wanting us to add a few layers of brick...
akaypick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™