grout help

musicteacherJuly 9, 2013

I have been shopping for new bathroom floor tile and find that I like what I have better than what is in the store. The problem is not the tile, but the grout which is wide and discolored here and there. I wish the grout lines were thinner but I can live with if I could clean the grout up and seal it The grout is darkish grey and has a few white spots on it but won't scrub out. At least not with scrubbing bubbles and a brush. Obviously the last step would be to seal it, but what are my options now? Chisel it out and re-do, file down the few spots and patch with grout (I still have the original grout, but it might not match the been-there-for-a-while grout) "paint it" with grout colorant? My hubby would be so happy if we didn't have to pay for new tile too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

If you were to regrout or patch, don't use your leftover grout. It only has a certain shelf life so your results (durability and color matching) would most likely disappoint.

A recommendation that many have had excellent results with would be to use a colorant like Aquamix Grout Colorant.

You clean the grout with Aquamix's grout cleaner. Then apply the colorant. It's epoxy-based, so it will be a film-type of colorant over your existing grout. Not a penetrating-type of sealer.

It does work very well for recoloring problematic grout, and being epoxy, it's an excellent sealer as well.

If you want to remove the existing grout, I don't chisel it out. I use a diamond bit either in a dremel-type of tool, or in a multimaster-type of tool. Depends on the situation. You want to remove the exiting grout at least as deep as the grout joint is wide.

Vacuum/clean it out well. Then regrout.

Good luck!

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Anyone have Swanstone shower base?
I was able to dig up the technical/testing specs for...
cataan
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Want to share a recent experience
I've never posted on this forum before, but I've been...
laceyvail
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™