Wood tub surround?

mxgmom3July 9, 2008

Designer is suggesting a wood veneer type tub surround. Top surface would be stone but side would be this wood. Insists it is water resistent and will not be a problem. Anyone seen this / done this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

"Wood veneer". Don't use anything with an MDF core.

I've built several wood surrounds for tubs. Some have been painted wood, others stained. Never had a problem.

I've even done a couple of wood tub decks. Usually teak. Never had a problem with those either.

It's quite easy to disguise access panels (if needed for plumbing or motor access) into a wood apron, too.

Mongo

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 1:31PM
justmeinsd

We had one in our last house and will do the same in our new house. We used cabinet doors over a veneer and it looked great. I am not sure i would do it in a kids area but didn't have any problem in the master bath.

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 11:17PM
mongoct

I think weedyacres posted a pic of a gorgeous stained wood tub surround that they DIY'd.

Mongo

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 11:23PM
igloochic

I'm taking a brave route (due to Omega's guarantee) and doing a wood surround on our son's tub/shower combo. The tub is tiled but the wall around it will be a couple of wood panels (allowing access to the controls) and fluted collums. I worried about the front panel because it's a highly detailed wood door (matching the vanities) that sticks out about 1 3/4". Omega guarantees even if i'm lazy as sin and don't wipe it down after baths, it will be fine. We'll see :) (I'm lazy as sin and have the housekeeper do that only weekly...but I might do better if properly motivated).

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 1:41AM
mxgmom3

Thanks all.
Igloochic - Are you getting your vanity from Omega, also? The design sounds like something you'll enjoy long after your son is finished. This bath/shower combo will be used by 3 boys, so I might want to look into that omega guarantee too!

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 8:12AM
igloochic

Yes mx :) The vanity is Omega as well. I fell in love with a totally inappropriate door style (we always fall for the bad boys don't we?) and figured out a way to use it by putting it in the family bathroom. A reasonable person would choose less carving, less distressing, and less cost LOL but I just HAD to have this stupid door...and now it's not only doors, but a tub surround. I had a long talk with the Omega dealer and their headquarters about two year olds and splashing :) And they said they guarantee that the finish won't be hurt...and if they're wrong...they've put it in writing, I get a new tub surround :)

Omega cabinets aren't cheap, but they're known for their finish quality, so we'll hope this all works :oP

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 9:52PM
weedyacres

Here's ours, made from plywood and trim in the same finish as our vanity. It doesn't get much water exposure, except an occasional few drops or splatter, which I wipe off with a towel.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 10:05PM
Rae8

I have a question. I am building a tub surround from wood and have been looking around at the various cabinet makers.
One of those companies told me I should use MDF on the center panel with hardwood frame because of the wood expanding and contracting with steam and wet environment.

However I see where other places just recommend that you use HARD wood species and that you seal it well. Those sites said nothing about MDF - just to stay away from MDF (for use with all of it - not just center as I'm talking about)

So now am not sure if I should get the all hard wood including center panels or allow the center MDF . The doors I'm looking at have an applied molding with recessed center panel. (To match my vanity)

Another question I have is whether I should absolutely paint it rather than stain it or does it matter if I stain it if I am applying polyurethane or other recommended finish coats?

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
Tall toilet brands?
Looking for suggestions, need taller than the standard...
jewelisfabulous
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Trying to Match.....
I am trying to match a set of Dornbracht Madison lav....
Patricia Kuehne
Converting Tub/Shower Combo to Dual head shower
Hello! We have a master bath in a 1936 cape cod that...
cwalen
Sponsored Products
LBL Lighting | Olivia Pendant Light
$336.00 | YLighting
Lippa 36" Marble Dining Table in Black
$699.00 | LexMod
Hand Woven Matador Purple Leather (8' Round)
Overstock.com
Provence Area Rug II
Home Decorators Collection
Kichler Textured Black Dome Outdoor LED Path Light
Lamps Plus
Suzanne Kasler Set of Any 2 Garden Plan Prints
Ballard Designs
Wingate Oil Rubbed Bronze 13-Inch Four-Light Foyer Pendant
$209.00 | Bellacor
Graff | Solar Roman Tub Set
$1,849.50 | YBath
People viewed this after searching for: