x post: Master suite-Laundry Room Layout Help.new build

autumn.4July 8, 2013

Yes! Finally we have our first draft floor plan.

I need some help with our master/laundry area. As drawn it is wreaking havoc with our elevation or lets just say we don't like it. Our next appointment is next Monday so I want to get ideas before we sit down to discuss modifications. I am trying to think out of the box but many of you are so good at creatively seeing past things and finding solutions I thought I'd ask for your help.

Goal: Move the 2 windows together so on the outside it appears to be one room.

It is somewhat unconventional or out of the norm but it is what we asked for. Dh and I work different shifts and need/want access to the master bath/closet without going through the bedroom so we don't disturb each other.

So that being said - let the ideas fly!

edit: : Dimensions look blurry - sorry. master closet is 9'x6'6", laundry is 6'6" x 10'. I just received the master bath dimensions. Shower is 3'x4'3 1/2" (I really would like 3'x5'). Linen is 3' 5 1/2" wide. Vanity area is 7' 6 1/2" long. Not quite long enough for 2 36" vanities with a window in the window. I am not on the computer with the drawing right now. I'll add the designer version with the dimensions as soon as I can!

I will post it as drawn and then an idea I had but I'm not sure will work.

Items of mention:
I do not HAVE to have a window in the master closet
I would like a window in the laundry room
Windows should be centered on the wall and together (see pic of what we are trying to achieve).
Laundry room: I will attach a pic of a rough idea of what I want. I think it needs to be 8' wide so I can have a counter for folding and a sink and storage underneath for baskets - rod above for hanging. I like mydreamhome's laundry but not sure I can swing those dimensions.

Here goes. And thanks for any and all input!
Layout as drawn (the linen closet will be moved behind the door and sinks shifted down to avoid door/person conflict):

My modification idea.

Do you think it would work to have that wall stop short and not have a door so you can just pass through from the laundry to the closet? It's not off the mudroom so I'm not worried about people traffic going into my closet.

Laundry goal-something like this with washer/dryer opposite wall maybe:

Elevation with windows separate:

Elevation that we like - note porch is prominent and we are hoping to change ours on that as well.

Thank you!

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
autumn.4

bump - any thoughts?

This is a new build - I don't think the bath is very efficient - too many doors. I am at a loss at how to reconfigure it.

Musts: 2 36" vanities, 3x5 shower, linen closet, closet that is able to hold hanging + drawers (no dresser in bedroom) - access to laundry room from master bath or closet. We do not need a separate WC.

Thank you.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 8:16PM
Karenseb

I am just guesstimating your space size, but perhaps you could lay it out this way. Maybe a pocket door from the bathroom into your bathroom would help.
I would want a walk in closet as long as possible.
I like your home with the separate windows, but two windows together would look fine.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 9:52PM
autumn.4

Karen - thank you for that! I played with what you have drawn and drew it with all of my dimensions in the original building a home forum link below. If you have a chance - please tell me what you think - I drew up 3 different ones and would love your opinion.

3 Master Suite/Laundry Layouts - what do you think?

Thanks again!
Lisa

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 7:37PM
enduring

See my post on the building forum.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 9:07PM
autumn.4

Hi enduring - I did see it - sorry - I think I may have mucked things up with a x post. Never quite sure how that works. I will review and respond over there if that is okay.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 9:10PM
enduring

Great.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Trying to Match.....
I am trying to match a set of Dornbracht Madison lav....
Patricia Kuehne
Master Bath Reveal - Small space, big style
We don't have the bathroom shade installed yet, but...
piscesgirl
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Tile vs Granite on Face of Shower Bench?
I'm nearing completion on the remodel of my guest bathroom....
swguru
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
Sponsored Products
Kani Chrome Four-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Cobalt Blue Matte Glass
$544.50 | Bellacor
Charlie Sofa
Dot & Bo
Set of Three Large Leather Trays
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Jessica McClintock Couture Silver Leaf Leather Headboard - 908-333
Hayneedle
International Caravan Aluminum Frame Resin Weave San Tropez Rocker Chair
Overstock.com