Retractable Awning

wbrown609May 7, 2013

Posting this here as I thought it would get the most replies. Anyone have any experience with retractable awnings? We have footprint restrictions on our house, but uncovered decks do not count. We have an eight foot wide deck that we would like to get some shade on, but we cannot cover it. I thought about one of the retractable awnings to cover a portion of it. This is a vacation house that will not get much use, and I was thinking about one of the manually operated ones from somewhere like Lowes or Home Depot. Can anyone offer any opinions on something like this? Are they useful or just a waste of money? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oaktown

We have a retractable awning that we ordered through Costco. Love it. It makes our patio pleasant in the summer. Before the awning, we used market umbrellas, but those (1) broke every year (2) did not shade as large an area (3) took up space in our small garage during the winter. If I recall correctly, it was not much more expensive to get a motorized unit, so we did, but we have never plugged it in because the kids still argue over who gets to turn the crank pole to manually operate the awning.

The one drawback I can see is that it is a bit ugly.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:54PM
davemartin88

We had a retractable awning at our last house, it was motor operated but a manual version would have been fine. We loved it, didn't really think it looked that bad and it greatly extended our use of the deck. I definitely preferred it over the table type umbrellas we used before installing the awning.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 7:29PM
jsfox

We have a Sunsetter motorized that we inherited with our cabin. Ugly? You betcha. But we do love it and use it often. I'd have much preferred a single color to stripes though and I'll likely enclose the box to hide it better.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Help With Hip Roof and Mixed Pitches (+ Please Critique My Home Front)
Hello, I and my husband are building a colonial with...
mary8153
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Over thinking or detailed
We have not even poured the slab yet, and I find myself...
ourgeorgiahouse
Frank Betz Chapman from Start to Finish
Following in the footsteps of 'jnjmom,' our family...
trulygrateful
Revised Floor Plan - Please Critique
We're building our first house this Spring and are...
zeugirdorxela
Sponsored Products
Moonrays Umbrella Lights Outdoor Black Solar Powered Hanging LED Umbrella Light
$49.88 | Home Depot
VIGO Single-Handle Chrome Pullout-Spray Kitchen Faucet with Deck Plate
Overstock.com
Vivan Retractable Wall-Mount Pot Filler Faucet
Signature Hardware
Centre Satin Nickel Parabolic White Swirl Pattern Glass Two-Light LED Mini Penda
$495.00 | Bellacor
Safavieh Sally 22-inch Red Feather Decorative Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Indoor/Outdoor Floor Mat: Neutral Leather Brown 9' x 12' Polypropylene Reversibl
$59.97 | Home Depot
Bellotto Stripe Upholstery Fabric in Lemongrass
$37.00 | FabricSeen
SunStopper Sun Blocker 99 10 x 8-ft. Motorized Retractable Awning - SUNBLK-10X8-
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™