Can I "fool" my 11" induction hob to accept 8" pans?

texasgal47June 27, 2013

I have decided to go with a shallower vent hood for aesthetic reasons in my small kitchen and plan to cook the "messies" (fry, long simmer, & boil) on the back induction hobs to compensate. Unfortunately, on my Bosch cooktop those back hobs are 5.75" and 11". All of my new larger induction pans/pots have 8" bottoms. These pans are the right size for my cooking needs so would prefer not to buy 11" if I can avoid it. An 8" pan on the large hob will heat up fine but has a constant anoying cyclic hum I can't live with. (The hum does not occur if the pans are sized to the correct burner.) Do you think placing a 18/8 SS waiter's tray from a restaurant supply store on the larger hob, then placing the 8" pan on top, would stop the cyclic hum? If so, would the pot still heat appropriately? The tray I'm considering is 13.75" round but has a slight raised edge so the flat bottom should be about 11". If this is a no go, does anyone have other suggestions of what I might try short of buying new pans? Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and offer assistance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaseki

The restaurant tray should heat up, certainly if it is responsive to a magnet. Heat will conduct into the pan on top. You might be able to fry bacon that way, but putting high power into the pan might prove difficult. And the pan may still vibrate.

There are relatively inexpensive induction capable cookwares that would probably be less trouble to acquire and use.

Boiling where there is minimal grease entrained in the water vapor could be done on a front hob and allowed to escape the hood so long as the water vapor quantity is not so much that you wet your walls.

kas

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:56PM
texasgal47

Kas, I am in your debt. Thanks once again.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 9:18PM
texasgal47

Hmmm, what if I could have a metal shop make me a ring, 8.50" open in the center to place the pot in the middle and 11" at the exterior? It would probably cost more than 3 pieces of induction cookware. I found an online fabricator, www.stainlesssteelsupply.com, to see what the cost might be. I really don't want to store and use such large pots if I can avoid it.

This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 21:57

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 9:31PM
kaseki

It would get hot, but would it solve the buzzing?

You might try local sheet metal shops for pricing; I'd like to know what the experiment yields for a result.

kas

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 12:13PM
westsider40

They sell induction plates which are used to make non magnetic pots use-able on induction hobs. I can't think of the term for them at the moment. Unfortunately, they are not very successful.

For that reason, I doubt that a home-made metal plate would work well enough. Amazon reviews would be informative.

And it is unknown whether either of these would stop the buzzing.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 9:50PM
texasgal47

I researched these plates prior to this post as I was aware of them. No manufacturer makes one large enough for this 11" hob. User comments are restricted to pans that are non-induction and would not relate to the humming problem in my situation.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 11:05AM
weissman

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish - buy some new cookware - easier and more reliable than jerry-rigging something.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 2:06PM
texasgal47

Weissman, I think you're giving sound advice. It would be foolish to put my expensive cooktop at risk by trying to find a "work around."

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Questions on Bosch and Wolf induction - min. pan sizes
Hi, I have been reading posts on this forum for quite...
houztongirl
Difference between advantium and convection microwave
I had almost decided on the ge advantium (monogram)...
athensmomof3
Sealed vs Open Gas Burners
What's the difference between sealed gas burners and...
cbarkston
Vent hood, Broan, Vent a Hood, Zephyr, or Kobe
I am looking for a 36'' under cabinet hood for a 36''...
abick2
Refrigerator - Fisher Paykel, Blomberg, Summit...?
I am looking for a counter-depth refrigerator no more...
virtualanne
Sponsored Products
Juno 5" White Recessed Trim with Florentine Sun Medallion
$55.98 | Lamps Plus
Yellow Budgie Birds Oversized Gallery Wrapped Canvas
Overstock.com
Farella Flushmount/Pendant by Eurofase
$1,960.00 | Lumens
Ball Inspired Chair-Black - Cashmere Wool
IFN Modern
Illuminating Experiences | Bell A0 Wall Lamp
$273.75 | YLighting